Rhytmic Gate in LMMS

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I am trying to produce a Rhytmic (or Trance) Gate using LMMS, so far this is the only solution I got so far without using a proprietary VST.

http://bado.so/RhytmicGate.mmp

Does anyone know a better method?

It's terrible to automate the volume envelope manually, specially with the lack of mass automation management we have today, see image attached.
2015-01-16-231130_1565x774_scrot.png
2015-01-16-231130_1565x774_scrot.png (103.11 KiB) Viewed 10108 times
you are correct, its a drag to make that automation. that was why i made this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPaOva0ntzs
but it wont run on most pc's -sorry
There is an alternative
In LFO tab, you can insert a wave-spectrum in the question-mark-slot
There are even a couple of gate-patterns in the factory collection, meant for this:
..\samples\waveforms
they are named 'lfo_***.flac'
And you can make your own, ofcause
What i think we should have is a wysiwyg vector-drawing tool, where user draw one shape, and this can be used as gate or sidechain shape over n beats
(we can discuss on hub :)
badosu wrote:
Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:17 am
I am trying to produce a Rhytmic (or Trance) Gate using LMMS, so far this is the only solution I got so far without using a proprietary VST.

http://bado.so/RhytmicGate.mmp

Does anyone know a better method?

It's terrible to automate the volume envelope manually, specially with the lack of mass automation management we have today, see image attached.

2015-01-16-231130_1565x774_scrot.png
I am sorry to rez such an old thread but I have had success adding a peak controller to a TripleOscillator outputting plain white noise, and binding that to a volume control or a filter to whichever instrument you want. That way you can change the rhythm easily and shape it differently using the envelope of the white noise. Make sure to click mute effect!
badosu wrote:
Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:17 am
I am trying to produce a Rhytmic (or Trance) Gate using LMMS, so far this is the only solution I got so far without using a proprietary VST
Okay, so someone found this old post. Ha! Ha! :lol:

Believe it or not, if you're getting problems making a Trance Gate sound, there is another solution.
You can easily make a trance gate sound, in a Vst called Synth 1, without the need to use automation.
I made a tut, on how to make one, in the Tutorials section of the forum.

In the Tutorials section, look for the title "New Synth sound tutorials by BrandyStar."
Check Page 1, as it's the first tut on that page. :D

Also, the Table of contents is on Page 1 too, at the very top of the page. :)
Have you tried to connect your synth to the Peak Controller of a mute trigger ("Mute Effect" option enabled)?
Hi,

This thread helped me out loads, I must have read it 12 times in the past couple of days while trying to do this in LMMS as well as other DAWs seem to do out of the box.

Since I couldn't create the effect I wanted from the advice here (though it was critical to be able to get there - thanks all), I had to improvise, and I've posted my solution here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33743#p72601

Hopefully, in future if anyone else is struggling to get really nice crisp rhythmic dips, they'll maybe find their way here and find my link above useful!
You can automate just one bar and then copy and paste that automation item as many times as you want the effect. You can do it with volume or with the EQ (top shelf).
Add a bit of LMMS delay and feedback and you have a really nice effect. It's also good because you can change the wave shape per item. So maybe you want it square, then rounded, then linear...Image
(Open image in new tab for full-size)
Sorry for the resurrecting this old thread. Just wanted to let you know I found a solution to this (I almost posted the same question lol).

There's a free effect plugin literally called 'Trance Gate' by Kilohearts.

You can modulate the speed and the pattern. You just have to click controls (under the FX tab) and then that wrench icon.

There you will find a knob that says resolution (referring to note sizes 1/2, 1/8, 1/16, etc). It also glides between the options without jumping. As a bonus, it comes with ADSR knobs. You can also modulate the mix knob for a fade in/out effect.

I'll post a small tut on this just because it's so useful. Here's a link to the plugin (comes with other free ones within the exe installer).

https://kilohearts.com/products/trance_gate