The struggle of Gps learning music and sheetmusic

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
516 posts
After googling the Alberti-bass it started to make sense to me, why you called it a boogie bassline.

Listening to it again, did not really make it clear to me. :)

Don't like how the high notes sound to me unrelated ?, to that bass.

The start works on my nerves. :(

So triplets is not about the number of notes, but the duration of the pauses between the notes ?

Also been googling on rag time, as you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQQAWCqytE

interesting, that must be also hard to play.
Gps wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:14 pm
Don't like how the high notes sound to me unrelated ?, to that bass.
In alberti?
Njahj then something is wrong. Alberti sequences over the chord, that should have played as bass
It gives the phrase a 'lightness' -Something Mozart is known for that 'Airy-feel'
Mayby i should make a tut ;)

So triplets is not about the number of notes, but the duration of the pauses between the notes ?
Nee, a triplet of a 'std' note is a different way to play the note
If we set the grid Q to 1/24th then 3 tick-squares is a normal 1/8th note, 2 squares is an 1/8 triplet note (written as 1/8T).
But because we can use that table, and we have the triplets selectable, we do not have to fiddle around with the various Q-settings, you just pick the one you need from the table
interesting, that Rag must be also hard to play.
Ya! But surely you know Scot Joplins Rag from the movie 'The sting' -Its the theme all through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxfjWnuEno
LOL, after three notes I did recognize it, ( sting theme)
Did not know it was rag time though.

Don't know if I maybe just don't like the instrument sound, or something is wrong with the recording, especially the start of the albert piece, does get on my nerves.

I would almost call it an example of classical music I don't like at all.

After more googling I found this, and now it starts to make sense.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-triplet-e ... lfth-notes
This is when American or contemporary terms for music notation fail to make any sense.

In contemporary terms the base measure is a 4/4 bar. A whole note lasts for a whole bar, a half note lasts for half a bar. A quarter note lasts for a quarter of a bar and an 8th note lasts for an 8th of a bar. By your interpretation a triplet 8th note should be called a 12th note, and that could make sense but only within a 4/4 bar. When we are confronted with 3/4 or 2/4 or 6/8, the contemporary terms are confusing and fail to make sense - that’s because we keep referring to notes in these terms regardless of the bar length.

In traditional terms (or UK terms) we name note values rather than attribute them to the bar length. An eighth note is called a quaver. A quarter note is a crotchet beat. When a crotchet beat is split equally into 2, the beat becomes 2 quaver beats. When a crotchet beat is split equally into 3s, the beat becomes 3 quaver beats (ie triplets). Triplet quavers, although they look similar to normal quavers, are not the same value. This is why you see a small 3 above a triplet, to remind the player to perform the 3 notes in the space of a crotchet beat.
So he is playing 3 notes, as I was expecting ( and thought I was hearing) watching that boogie woogie video. :)
Gps wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am
When a crotchet beat is split equally into 3s, the beat becomes 3 quaver beats (ie triplets).
Interesting! i diddent knew that
so he is playing 3 notes, as I was expecting ( and thought I was hearing) watching that boogie woogie video. :)
Yes, the performer is challenged to play 3 notes where you would assume time for 2 notes. I also believe that this is done in several magic rock-guitar-solo extravaganza's
I am typing this with a big smile on my face.

I have a boogie woogie bassline of 12 bars :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCiyPHI3kI

Now when you put these notes in to LMMS, there are 2 issues.

One I am ignoring for now, Eb (flat?) and E are not in the key of C as he claims.

That should be E and F for example.

But now to the fun part.
Set Quantization to 1/24 or 1/48 Note to 1/24

Then you will notice its not sounding right, its missing the swing.

I moved the second note and the fourth and the 6th and so on, 1/24 ahead in time, and BOOM.

Its boogie woogie :)

Progression is CCCC FF CC FF GG 12 bars. :P

If anything this does show my progression in the struggle.
I am getting better or should we say less bad :P

Almost can't believe myself I added swing.

How I got the idea of moving every second note?
I had hooked up my midi controller keyboard, and tried to play along with the rhythm. (not the exact notes)
The pattern I then saw gave met the idea. :)
Gps wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Eb (flat?) and E are not in the key of C as he claims.
That should be E and F
a case of #/b-notes, in sheet shown as '#' or 'b' (sharp / flat) directly on the lines, infront of the clef, or even on one particular note alone, at any place in the sheet
I moved the second note and the fourth and the 6th and so on, 1/24 ahead in time
Yes exactly that is Swing! Good thinking!
Twelve seconds in.

That Eb and then E

If I set scale to mayor and do this on the C key, that black key Eb is out of scale?

Or am I misinterpreting this wrong ? He does play that black key.

That bassline sounds fine to me in LMMS, but I changed it so all my notes are all in the key of C mayor. :)
Gps wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:11 am
Twelve seconds in.
where :p
That Eb and then E
If I set scale to mayor and do this on the C key, that black key Eb is out of scale?
those notes all belongs to A blues : A; C; D; D#/Eb; E; G; A;
All white except for that D#
It would make a lot of sense, if a BWogie is in a blues-scale
Lol, oops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCiyPHI3kI

The blues scale that could be it, its not mayor nor minor.

Is there a Blues scale in LMMS ? :)

I have tried a few, but can't find it.
Gps wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 pm
Is there a Blues scale in LMMS ? :)
8| It is not.. Thats a mistake, especially because Off 1.2 does not save marked notes yet. That mean that you have to manually use "Mark-this-semitone-and-all-corresponding" to mark the blues-scale and unfortunately that has to be done every time you work on that project :(
I will see if there is a complementary scale, but for blues there may not be.. And if so, it may be even more exotic than blues idk...
There are literary B-loads of odd 'scales' some are next to personal, for one specific weird 'artist' -Often the real art is to manage to listen to ½ minute of music made in those 'scales' :p
But Blues is not one of those
516 posts