Page 1 of 1

Exit the membrane

Posted: July 30th, 2017, 4:55 pm
by D.Ipsum
Hi!

https://soundcloud.com/dipsum/dipsum-0134-04-5-membrane

A great work of transformation remains to be done,
It is still too repetitive until about 01m20s,
What comes next becomes progressively more interesting,
The couple drums and bass is there to support the "voice", and still needs to be reworked,

I have to admit that at this point, it becomes difficult to progress, the large number of automation is difficult to manage ...

What do you think?

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 1st, 2017, 9:14 pm
by Dudeguy21
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑
July 30th, 2017, 4:55 pm
Hi!

https://soundcloud.com/dipsum/dipsum-0134-04-5-membrane

A great work of transformation remains to be done,
It is still too repetitive until about 01m20s,
What comes next becomes progressively more interesting,
The couple drums and bass is there to support the "voice", and still needs to be reworked,

I have to admit that at this point, it becomes difficult to progress, the large number of automation is difficult to manage ...

What do you think?
That is quite an interesting effect on the synth at the beginning (and throughout). I'm curious as to how you created that sound.

I personally find the tone a bit abrasive and chaotic for a tune this mellow. If you round out the volume of it, and maybe add a bit of reverb it might fit nicely.

It is a fairly empty piece. There isn't a whole lot of direction, and a greater variety of instruments and parts would suit you well. Using fuller tones for the percussion may also play in your favour.

This is quite a creative piece, and with a bit more development it could be improved dramatically.



I also just want to thank you for being so active on this forum, I really appreciate the time you take to respond to essentially every submission.

Keep creating!

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 2nd, 2017, 3:37 am
by brandystarbrite
It's a very creative sounding tune, with cool sounding synths.
And I will admit, that the voice effect, is quite interesting.
But I agree with you, a handful of work, needs to be done to it, to make it sound complete.
Keep it up man. :)

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 2nd, 2017, 12:53 pm
by D.Ipsum
Thanks guys!

There is clearly a lot of things missing.
For now, I focus on the "voice". I want to develop his phrasing, to give him more expression, to sculpt the bits as one sculpts the marble. The goal is to have a talking synth, a synth that speaks like a dog barks, like a cat meow, like a human speaks, etc.

Dudeguy21 wrote: ↑
August 1st, 2017, 9:14 pm
I'm curious as to how you created that sound.
So how do I do it? Heeeee .... :P Before I answer, I'm curious to hear your assumptions about it. What I can say for now: it's 100% LMMS (TripleOsc, Kicker and effects).

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 2nd, 2017, 5:29 pm
by Dudeguy21
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑
August 2nd, 2017, 12:53 pm

So how do I do it? Heeeee .... :P Before I answer, I'm curious to hear your assumptions about it. What I can say for now: it's 100% LMMS (TripleOsc, Kicker and effects).
My immediate guesses are either the vocal formant filter or the vocoder effect.

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 2nd, 2017, 11:34 pm
by D.Ipsum
Dudeguy21 wrote: ↑
August 2nd, 2017, 5:29 pm
My immediate guesses are either the vocal formant filter or the vocoder effect.
Nope. It's not that. 8-)

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 3rd, 2017, 6:39 pm
by insonico
Dudeguy21 wrote: ↑
August 1st, 2017, 9:14 pm
That is quite an interesting effect on the synth at the beginning (and throughout). I'm curious as to how you created that sound.
I'm also quite curious as to how you made that sound, D.Ipsum, but I have no guesses. lol
Sounds really interesting, though.

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 4th, 2017, 6:41 pm
by D.Ipsum
Not many assumptions :(

Well, my initial idea: to get an expressive timbre, I need a signal that varies constantly.

At the beginning, several synths play the same note (A4).
These synths are nothing special, you can use anything, preferably harmonic-rich timbres.
These synths are sent to a mixer channel.
In this channel is the TAP Equalizer / BW.
It's this plugin that does the job.
The 8 bands of this EQ (Freq + Gain) are automated.
So, 8*Freq knobs + 8*Gain knobs = 16 automation tracks.
The Gain automation resembles the waveform of a white noise.
The Frequency automation resembles sinuous waves.

So when I press play, the 16 knobs move in all directions, all the time.

That's all.

But, it must be admitted that it is not fun at all to do!
It is rather annoying and difficult to manage (if you want the sound to make "PFFF" rather than PSHH ", how to do it? which automation track edit? and how ?).

But what matters to me is the result, so ... my track lacks a lot of transformations ... :cry:

:D

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 8th, 2017, 3:15 am
by insonico
Wow that's a whole lot of automation, man. It really must be a nightmare to manage. :|

To be honest, I quite like the voice as it is. Though maybe some variation would make the track more dynamic.
Also, I really like how you finished it. The bit at the end is really cool.

Looking forward to see what you'll do with it!

Re: Exit the membrane

Posted: August 8th, 2017, 6:55 pm
by D.Ipsum
insonico wrote: ↑
August 8th, 2017, 3:15 am
Wow that's a whole lot of automation, man. It really must be a nightmare to manage. :|

To be honest, I quite like the voice as it is. Though maybe some variation would make the track more dynamic.
Also, I really like how you finished it. The bit at the end is really cool.

Looking forward to see what you'll do with it!
I also like the voice as it is.
I like how it sounds.
But his phrasing, or his prosody, seems to me too repetitive during the first minute.
Still concerning the voice, I would also like to improve the transition between "verses" and "chorus", if I may say so.

The idea is to improve things (if I find the motivation to continue).