Page 1 of 2
Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 26th, 2017, 9:01 pm
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
Hi
Recently I posted my first hip hop beat here and the feedback was really helpful (thanks guys

). So I've put as much of it as possible into practice in this new beat:
https://soundcloud.com/user-969609103/trust-the-empire
I'd really appreciate some feedback. Brutality is warranted as long as it's constructive

Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 27th, 2017, 2:14 am
by insonico
Nice beat!
Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 27th, 2017, 5:38 am
by Mo Stitchi
Yop,
Things I like:
- the mood
- the melodies
- the sounds
The thing I like a bit less:
- The breaks are a too long. Around 2:30 for exemple, you have more than one minute without beat. If we agree that hip-hop is a dance music, you lost the dancers, they felt asleep.
In conclusion: a very nice tune to listen to, but not a tune to dance on.
Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 28th, 2017, 8:00 pm
by D.Ipsum
"Trust The Empire", yes, obey
Sorry, I threw up.
Otherwise, nice track, good atmosphere.
Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 29th, 2017, 9:15 am
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
insonico wrote: ↑October 27th, 2017, 2:14 am
Nice beat!
Thanks dude
Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 29th, 2017, 9:40 am
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
Mo Stitchi wrote: ↑October 27th, 2017, 5:38 am
Yop,
Things I like:
- the mood
- the melodies
- the sounds
Thanks
Mo Stitchi wrote: ↑October 27th, 2017, 5:38 am
The thing I like a bit less:
- The breaks are a too long. Around 2:30 for exemple, you have more than one minute without beat. If we agree that hip-hop is a dance music, you lost the dancers, they felt asleep.
In conclusion: a verynice tune to listen to, but not a tune to dance on
Aah yeah i didn't realise that actually, thanks for pointing it out.
I'm just experimenting with music at the moment, so it tends to be a mishmash of genres. And then it's hard to categorise my tracks

Hence why I ended up calling this a hiphop track when in reality, you're right, it's not really, since it's not dance music. My intention in adding the break is for listeners to focus on the lyrics of the verses. Ofc that didn't come across cause there are no lyrics yet haha
But yh I definitely take your point

Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 29th, 2017, 9:54 am
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑October 28th, 2017, 8:00 pm
"Trust The Empire", yes, obey
Sorry, I threw up.
Yeah it was meant to be ironic but obviously that didn't come across

(that's why the track picture is an 'empire' containing a devil thing). The idea is that the verses reflect a kind of empirical majesty, juxtaposed with the creepy breaks that portray a dystopian type society. Making the listener question whether they should really trust the empire.
Obviously that didn't come across though so I'll need to work on the portrayal of my ideas through music
And actually, I'll change the title
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑October 28th, 2017, 8:00 pm
Otherwise, nice track, good atmosphere.
Thankers

Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 29th, 2017, 3:33 pm
by D.Ipsum
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote: ↑October 29th, 2017, 9:54 am
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑October 28th, 2017, 8:00 pm
"Trust The Empire", yes, obey
Sorry, I threw up.
Yeah it was meant to be ironic but obviously that didn't come across

(that's why the track picture is an 'empire' containing a devil thing). The idea is that the verses reflect a kind of empirical majesty, juxtaposed with the creepy breaks that portray a dystopian type society. Making the listener question whether they should really trust the empire.
Obviously that didn't come across though so I'll need to work on the portrayal of my ideas through music
And actually, I'll change the title
Yes, I did not think it was an "invitation" to trust the empire.
At the same time, the title is rather ambiguous, it is presented in imperative form, as an injunction, or as a paradoxical injunction ("do not read this"). So, I wanted to specify that I had soiled the carpet

Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 29th, 2017, 9:35 pm
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑October 29th, 2017, 3:33 pm
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote: ↑October 29th, 2017, 9:54 am
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑October 28th, 2017, 8:00 pm
"Trust The Empire", yes, obey
Sorry, I threw up.
Yeah it was meant to be ironic but obviously that didn't come across

(that's why the track picture is an 'empire' containing a devil thing). The idea is that the verses reflect a kind of empirical majesty, juxtaposed with the creepy breaks that portray a dystopian type society. Making the listener question whether they should really trust the empire.
Obviously that didn't come across though so I'll need to work on the portrayal of my ideas through music
And actually, I'll change the title
Yes, I did not think it was an "invitation" to trust the empire.
At the same time, the title is rather ambiguous, it is presented in imperative form, as an injunction, or as a paradoxical injunction ("do not read this"). So, I wanted to specify that I had soiled the carpet
Understood. I've changed it now

Hopefully it makes more sense
Re: Another beat to critique ;)
Posted: October 29th, 2017, 10:07 pm
by D.Ipsum

It changes everything.