Page 1 of 2
New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 26th, 2017, 2:56 pm
by PPNDP
Hi!
I devoted last night to this track. I made it quite spontaneously - I experimented with neo-soul scale and a digital piano (Alesis Coda).
The second half of it is totally improvised. I recorded it without correcting anything so you may hear a lot of shortcomings (instruments are recorded a bit sloppy - I am not very talented piano player - I am not even one).
It is not mixed yet and there are no effects.
I have used LMMS, MrRay22 - for piano, Tethys 2 - for the bass line and instruments: vibra, sax and trumpet in sf2.
Also I have learned how to make house beat - what you may hear it the background.
If you have any idea of how can I improve it, I will be grateful!
https://soundcloud.com/ppndp/improo
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 26th, 2017, 3:33 pm
by Gps
I think its a good start for a track, but to repetitive right now.
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 26th, 2017, 3:34 pm
by Mo Stitchi
Yop,
Nice riddim. The trumpet is a bit shy (kinda "ho, 'scuse for entering this tune"), but the sound is good. Is this a free sf2?
If it is, I would gladly know where you found it...
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 26th, 2017, 4:20 pm
by PPNDP
Mo Stitchi wrote: ↑November 26th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Yop,
Nice riddim. The trumpet is a bit shy (kinda "ho, 'scuse for entering this tune"), but the sound is good. Is this a free sf2?
If it is, I would gladly know where you found it...
Yeah, it's a total beginning. Especially the second half is a total mess.
The beat was the easiest part though.
I used sax and vibrafone from this pack:
http://johannes.roussel.free.fr/music/soundfonts.htm
And trumpet is cut from some free jazz loop (I don't remember where I found this package) - hard to find the nice one.
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 26th, 2017, 4:33 pm
by PPNDP
Gps wrote: ↑November 26th, 2017, 3:33 pm
I think its a good start for a track, but to repetitive right now.
Yes, it's just a start
But still I have no idea how to make it less repetitive.
Change the piano chords? Add vocals?
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 27th, 2017, 2:55 am
by D.Ipsum
Like it, but I agree with what is said, clearly, the track lacks structure.
I would add some suggestions:
The length of the intro could be doubled, varying the timbre of the repetition (e.g. with filter automation).
The break around 00m40s appears a little early in my opinion.
Something must still emerge from the track.
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 27th, 2017, 4:16 am
by brandystarbrite
What you have so far, sounds good enough.
You're definitely, on to something cool here.
Yep.
Johannes Roussel's soundfonts, are like some of the top best ones, on the net.

Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 27th, 2017, 4:45 am
by PPNDP
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑November 27th, 2017, 2:55 am
Like it, but I agree with what is said, clearly, the track lacks structure.
I would add some suggestions:
The length of the intro could be doubled, varying the timbre of the repetition (e.g. with filter automation).
The break around 00m40s appears a little early in my opinion.
Something must still emerge from the track.
Thanks for your comment! I was also thinking about some slower developing beginning. You mean, some low pass filter for bass for example or the whole thing?
Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 27th, 2017, 4:50 am
by PPNDP
brandystarbrite wrote: ↑November 27th, 2017, 4:16 am
What you have so far, sounds good enough.
You're definitely, on to something cool here.
Yep.
Johannes Roussel's soundfonts, are like some of the top best ones, on the net.
Thanks!
Need a lot of work though.
I also think his fonts are awesome. Used them in my all track - they always fit

Re: New track - my experiments with jazz instruments...
Posted: November 28th, 2017, 1:02 am
by D.Ipsum
PPNDP wrote: ↑November 27th, 2017, 4:45 am
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑November 27th, 2017, 2:55 am
Like it, but I agree with what is said, clearly, the track lacks structure.
I would add some suggestions:
The length of the intro could be doubled, varying the timbre of the repetition (e.g. with filter automation).
The break around 00m40s appears a little early in my opinion.
Something must still emerge from the track.
Thanks for your comment! I was also thinking about some slower developing beginning. You mean, some low pass filter for bass for example or the whole thing?
Yes, the LP filter works well. But by variation it can also be the progressive automation of any parameter likely to affect the timbre of one or more instruments. This may be a subtle variation of timbre or something more contrasting.