Page 1 of 1

How to not distort melody and tone in a sample?

Posted: January 31st, 2019, 3:34 pm
by the black ryvius
There's this sample I took and put through effects. After I did, I played around in the piano roll so that the sample played through a bunch of different pitches. After that, I heard this wondrous melody, but it was too quiet. I tried turning it up, but all it did was distort and clip. I tried eqing, but no luck. I want to be able to keep the same melody and tone but still turn it up. This is slightly frustrating because I REALLY want to use this, but it's just too damn distorted.

Re: How to not distort melody and tone in a sample?

Posted: January 31st, 2019, 4:25 pm
by BaraMGB
Try to add the 'fast lookahead limiter' effect on it.

Re: How to not distort melody and tone in a sample?

Posted: February 4th, 2019, 5:38 am
by brandystarbrite
the black ryvius wrote: ↑
January 31st, 2019, 3:34 pm
There's this sample I took and put through effects. After I did, I played around in the piano roll so that the sample played through a bunch of different pitches. After that, I heard this wondrous melody, but it was too quiet. I tried turning it up, but all it did was distort and clip. I tried eqing, but no luck. I want to be able to keep the same melody and tone but still turn it up. This is slightly frustrating because I REALLY want to use this, but it's just too damn distorted.
BaraMGB gave some good advice above. How did it go for you?

Re: How to not distort melody and tone in a sample?

Posted: February 10th, 2019, 11:49 pm
by the black ryvius
It worked a little bit, but I don't know. The project is still there, but as with most project that end up sounding a little out of whack, I've left it be for about a couple weeks. Really the sample is still kinda quiet and I think my problems stem from a little eqing that I had did prior to the fast look ahead limiter. I might link a copy of the project later to show you what I mean.