Bug: LMMS GUI becomming unresponsive, known bug or not?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I am having this issue, for some time now. I was hoping it would be fixed with release 1.2.0 but its not.

There are two issues, but one I can work around.

The first one is with vst. When I click out side the vst windows, lmms does not respond. I then do alt+ tab to get the focus back to the lmms window.

The other one is more annoying, because what ever I do, LMMS stops responding to me.

When I minimize the LMMS window after this happens and then make it full screen again, the LMMS window does not get redrawn.

In both situations, if the track is playing it just keeps going on.

I do not know well how to explain the last one. What happens most of the time, for instance I want to move a note or shorten it, the mouse pointer changes, and then its all over. The lmms gui totally freezes ? goes unresponsive ?
Also sometimes just moving the mouse pointer in the song editor causes this.

It does not happen all of the time though. Some times twice in 5 minutes, sometimes not once in over an hour. :(

OpenSUSE 42.3, KDE desktop. ( linux 64 bit )

I also like to ask, if more Linux users are having this issue ?
I doubt very much its a suse related problem, but it might be KDE (the desktop) related.

I think I remember reading about this freezing problem, that's why I am asking if this is a know bug, or if I should report it, on discord ?
Gps wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:24 am
There are two issues, but one I can work around.
I think you should bug-report all three. They are Linux exclusives, and i cant remember any tickets for them.
One issue i do know is that some VSTs looses functionality, if a lmms-controller has been used. Then the VST need to get exclusive focus, and it is not enough to click anywhere on the VST-UI, Only the frame/ border ao some controllers, will get focus on the VST back -But yours are different

report them, best at tracker
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/new
-They will automatically also appear on discord, if you use tracker.
(The opposite not, so tracker is best :p )
Thank you, will do :)

Edit, Done.

Funny, I have not been on github for a while, it wanted me to add an extra number to log in. :)
I tried something.

Instead of doing alt + tab, it also seems to work on Linux, when you click the border of the vst window. To get control back to the lmms windows. :)
Gps wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 am
seems to work on Linux, when you click the border of the vst window.
yes, but not all VSTs will respond. idk the reason :|
One reason why it took me so long to report this. I was not sure on how to explain the issue.

Because its not a consistent problem, it took me a while to figure out when both happened.

About the vst part though, still happy with all the improvements related to vst.

The other one is for me much more annoying, it even happens in projects with no vst loaded.
(besides the build in zynaddsubFX)

I am used to saving often though, good habit from the early days of me on a computer.

Autocad on DOS. Sometimes for reasons unknown cad programs go bleep sometimes.

All unsaved work is then lost.

These days I get into arguments. Some people claim to have software that never crashes.
I then wonder if they actual use it :P

When I first switched to Linux, I was impressed how stable it is.
Linux almost never crashes, but , I can't say the same of the programs running on Linux though.
Gps wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:58 pm
These days I get into arguments. Some people claim to have software that never crashes.
I then wonder if they actual use it :P
This........is so true. :P
This bug is not suse nor kde related cause I get it on ubuntustudio with the xfce desktop.

It s annoying, I did not tell about it cause I tought I was the only one.

The vst bug is not a problem as we can manage it as you do but the gui bug is very annoying... must be qt related I think.

It breaks my head cause I want to perform lmms live when I have many songs to.

If you reported this can you send a link of the report please? So that i can follow this.

I get this since i use the 1.2.0 from rc7.

Di you use midi controllers knobs?

I have another bug at home, my saved midi assignations wont go back at anytime i launch lmms , generally it comes back after some hard reboots of my laptop, this one is so annoying but afaik is well known from years but not solved yet. Is this only on linux os or same with mac and win?

I would be si pleased if I only could perform lmms live on scene.

A bientôt!

Edit: lmms is the 1st programm I got that craashes on linux since i use it for near 20 years now... but it is so good to use that I continue, lmmq have rised up so much in so few years. When i had a look at it it looked for me as a gadget who must improve but now it becomes qualitative nice UI that I love it.
The link to github is in the reply from musicbear :)

It's were I reported it.

I will add a link to this topic, and tell them its also on ubuntu,

That should make trouble shooting at least a bit easier for the devs.

Edit:
Here is a link, but it probably wont work if you're not registered to github.

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/5104
It s ok thanks.

If I can provide any help, logs or somethings like that : let me know ! I want to help if needed.

Ask the devs if details are necessary I ll provide with pleasure.

A bientôt !