What are the Recommended Effects to Use in LMMS

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Still learning around in LMMS. Just want to know, what do you guys recommend for effects(effect chain) to use on instruments, making the songs better and what not? Then why would you use that effect, what does it do?
Eccentric wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am
Still learning my around in LMMS. Just want to know, what do you guys recommend for effects(effect chain) to use on instruments, making the songs better and what not? Then why would you use that effect, what does it do?
First and foremost Equalizer !
You can get so much more out of all instruments, when you add an EQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mFHDyWGh9c
A default filter is also recommended -At least an All-pass
Some would add compression, almost as default too, but im not so sure. Depends on what you aim at
Beside that it is purpose that rules :p
Eccentric wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:38 am
Still learning my around in LMMS. Just want to know, what do you guys recommend for effects(effect chain) to use on instruments, making the songs better and what not? Then why would you use that effect, what does it do?
Equalizers
Reverb effect.
Chorus Flanger
Bitcrusher used to be my favourite plugin a few years ago, it just made the sound brighter, I even put in the drums.

It essentially degrades the sound to a more chiptuny sound but if you put a little bit on a sound that is not as present as you would like it will make it brighter.
Anymore effects you can recommend?
Reverb, definitely. The Calf Reverb is one of the most powerful reverbs shipped with LMMS, try it.
As a general rule, equalization can be used for mild tweaking or powerful modification, but you want to avoid it and try to modify the base sound as much as possible. This way you don't get a sound that's too obviously equalized and/or muffled. At least, that's what I feel. You can use it for highpass/lowpass, but if you're making a huge change, silencing out a lot of the sound and leaving only a bit through, then maybe your base sound is just too different from what you want, to work with peacefully.
Try the LMMS echo effect (Multitap Echo), with a tempo-synced length, on the "cooler" less warm-feeling instruments. This adds a nice sparkle.
The TAP Stereo Echo adds a nice spatial effect. But if you want a simpler spatial effect with lesser echoey effects, try the "Stereo Matrix" effect. Be warned, this can cause a phase difference, you want to listen to your sound in Mono too and make sure it sounds balanced.
Monospace wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:10 am
Reverb, definitely. The Calf Reverb is one of the most powerful reverbs shipped with LMMS, try it.
As a general rule, equalization can be used for mild tweaking or powerful modification, but you want to avoid it and try to modify the base sound as much as possible. This way you don't get a sound that's too obviously equalized and/or muffled. At least, that's what I feel. You can use it for highpass/lowpass, but if you're making a huge change, silencing out a lot of the sound and leaving only a bit through, then maybe your base sound is just too different from what you want, to work with peacefully.
Try the LMMS echo effect (Multitap Echo), with a tempo-synced length, on the "cooler" less warm-feeling instruments. This adds a nice sparkle.
The TAP Stereo Echo adds a nice spatial effect. But if you want a simpler spatial effect with lesser echoey effects, try the "Stereo Matrix" effect. Be warned, this can cause a phase difference, you want to listen to your sound in Mono too and make sure it sounds balanced.
Excellent! I'll give these effects a try, and see how it pans out. Are there other effects that lower the frequency, that does not harm the listeners' ears? I dabble with the hard limiter effect on account of not having the music be too loud. Do you recommend it or do I use something else?
Likewise with the instrument or music being too quiet. However you would increase the volume then, lol. But I am open to new suggestions for effects if you have any more.
Try the equalizer. Keep the volume of frequencies below 50 Hz, low on non-bass instruments.
If the music is too quiet and you want to increase the volume, you use the volume knob. Alternatively, use the equalizer to boost prominent frequencies.