Way to create a gated reverb?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi! I'm new with LMMS and I would like to try first to do stuff with no external samples/plugins.

Now a problem that I have is I want to make a gated reverb effect for drums like in 80's (electro-funk), but after I add an reverb FX, I add a gate after, but can't "cut" it.

Any ideas? How could I do it? It's ok even without details (what parameters should I touch), just with wich effects you are shure it can be managed then I'll explore them.

Cheers!
Bronxio wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 am
Hi! I'm new with LMMS
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Bronxio !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

I want to make a gated reverb effect for drums like in 80's (electro-funk), but after I add an reverb FX, I add a gate after, but can't "cut" it.
Yes -all Effects are represented by a three-dial-UI:
As you can see, the 3. dial is a gate, you should be able to gate your reverb with that dial.
In case you do not get the sound you want '(80's)' Find a video or soundclip online, with the exact instrument sound, you are looking for. -Link to it!
You need to add exact timestamps, for where the wanted sound starts, and less important -ends
Like @2:32 -> 2:55
Thanks, musikbear! They are translated (Spanish) and I would never had realized that they were "decay" and "gate" (I always saw them in English, even in translated versions of some other programs)

But I can't modify any of those dials (they are off and they don't move). LMMS just let me to move the dry/wet dial. What should I do to activate them?
Bronxio wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:59 pm
I can't modify any of those dials (they are off and they don't move). LMMS just let me to move the dry/wet dial. What should I do to activate them?
Then both must be blocked by s.c. Global-automation.
Right-click each of them and choose
Remove Global-automation
Let us know the outcome :)
musikbear wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:19 pm

Then both must be blocked by s.c. Global-automation.
Right-click each of them and choose
Remove Global-automation
Let us know the outcome :)
I've removed global-automation and still not able to move the wheels! >.< I confirm that there is nothing going to edit global-automation and see nothing.

I mean, I can move the wheels under Ubuntu 18.04, but not with Windows 10 (with LMMS v1.2.1) Do you know what more could block those controls?
Bronxio wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:15 pm
Do you know what more could block those controls?
..Longshot
Are you using two screens?

2. Can you reproduce?
* Reboot your pc
* Open a new project
* Insert an identical instrument, with identical effect
* try to move the dials
What then happens?
If they are frozen:
Can i see the project? You can post a link in IM it you do not want it public
I will ofcause respect your rights.
Hit with the longshot 😆 yes, two screens! It's a laptop and the main one is the external one.

Yes, I can reproduce it in a new project. They seem like useless painted wheels! I'm going to send you the project via IM, thanks!
Bronxio wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm
Hit with the longshot 😆 yes, two screens! It's a laptop and the main one is the external one.

Yes, I can reproduce it in a new project. They seem like useless painted wheels! I'm going to send you the project via IM, thanks!
I have looked at the project, and i cant reproduce. You have used effect on two tracks in you B&B-editor
All in all 3 effects
I can manipulate all dials freely, without changing anything in the project:
Is it really those 6 dials that are completely frozen on your pc?
What if you double-click a frozen dial and insert a value manually, does that 'free' the dial, or is it still frozen?
Nope! I can't manually add a value to the decay and gate wheels (I can do it with the W/D one). The mouse didn't even change when passing over them (it changes when I pass it over the W/D one): it's like there are no controls at all in that zones.

I've tried to do it, after clossing LMMS, using my laptop with just its own screen, opening LMMS again, opening that project, and same problem. Same thing doing it with a new project!

Should I report a bug then? If so, how can I do it?
Bronxio wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:06 pm
Nope! I can't manually add a value to the decay and gate wheels
Should I report a bug then? If so, how can I do it?
No, it is not a bug. I could move both dials in your orr. project. It is 'something' on your pc/ with your mouse, that is more than odd.
What i suggest now is, that i save your project with the problem-dials in destinct different positions, then i upload that to a file service, send you the link as PM, and then you try and reopen that project, it would be very interesting if the parameters i saved, are different when you open the project..
If That happen it would move this to the poltergeist section of computing.....
I will see if i can get that done sometimes today

----------------
Ok i have resaved your project after making these new settings

Code: Select all

Kick power
Decay : 1200
Gate 0.5

Tr77_snare.ds
Revb
Decay : 2200
Gate 0,810

Peak
Decay 4000
Gate 1.0
These values are also added in project notes
Are the different when you open the project?
Are the dials still frozen?
I will PM you the DL link