MIDI keyboard pitch function problem

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi All
I've been using LMMS for quite a few years now, and just got a MIDI keyboard (WORLDE Midi keyboard - EASYKEY.25). It's a good MIDI keyboard; however, for some reason when i use the pitch up (make note 1 semitone higher) or the pitch down (make note 1 semitone lower) functions, there is a small problem. IF the instrument plugin window is open and its connected to the MIDI, using the pitch up and pitch down buttons affect the "pitch knob" of the instrument. However, I realized that when I did pitch down, the pitch went down by 90 cents while pitch up resulted in the pitch going up by 100 cents (it is not even). What kind of problems/issues may be causing this? This creates a very subtle difference in the pitch (not very detectable), but it would be desirable to have this fixed if possible.
Thanks
Sam
samzhang wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 am
Hi All
Hi, Welcome to the Forum samzhang !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

MIDI keyboard (WORLDE Midi keyboard - EASYKEY.25)

IF the instrument plugin window is open and its connected to the MIDI, using the pitch up and pitch down buttons affect the "pitch knob" of the instrument.
when pitch down, the pitch went down by 90 cents
while pitch up the pitch went up by 100 cents
eg:
pitch note 1 semitone higher -> 100 cents change
pitch down 1 semitone lower-> 90 cents change

What kind of problems/issues may be causing this?
I think you have found a bug.
Please look at the blue text. Have i understood your issue correct?

There is one interesting thing i ned to dig into, you write:
IF the instrument plugin window is open and ....
Does that mean that if you close the UI of the instrument, you then have 100 cent up AND 100 cent down?
Eg different from when the UI is OPEN?
-That would be.. odd
Hi
No, the change is the same when both the UI is open and closed (i.e. when instrument UI is both open and closed, pitch down of 90 cents and pitch up of 100 cents). I was expecting to have 100 cents pitch down and 100 cents pitch up. So the bug you are referring to is in LMMS (i.e. LMMS's issue)? If so, maybe try reinstall the software? I'm not very sure
Thanks
Sam
samzhang wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 am
No, the change is the same when both the UI is open and closed
Good! Otherwise this would be beyond strange
I fear you have discovered at sc. one-off-bug in our code. I doubt it will fix anything if you reinstall. I have to talk with other devs about it, and we need to see if we can reproduce
Thanks for reporting!
samzhang wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:32 am
expecting to have 100 cents pitch down and 100 cents pitch up.
I have problems trying to get a grip of this. I cant find the controller, and i cant understand that controllers function.
Why have a button that will pitch a semitone to a semitone with 100 cnt difference?
Then i looked for your HW, and i found this picture
But those two buttons, they are just determining the direction of the pitching, the actual slide, is made with the wheel i marked with a question mark, isent that correct?
If so(?) it is not a lmms issue, its the turn-dial that need to be in a different position.
Hi
I think the knob is for controlling stuff in LMMS once CC mode is on. The manual however did say it would pitch down and up by a semitone (which is by 100 cents), so i'm not sure whats going on here (rather confused)
Thanks
samzhang wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:49 am
Hi
I think the knob is for controlling stuff in LMMS once CC mode is on. The manual however did say it would pitch down and up by a semitone (which is by 100 cents), so i'm not sure whats going on here (rather confused)
Pitching one semitone, would be a very meagre span. It would be next to inaudible, im almost sure you can pitch one octave in either direction, that would be for making a guitar-slide -or similar
One semitone would be useless
Maybe there is a setting that can change the span of the slide?
Too bad no one else that have this keyboard has chimed in..
I think you can change the span of the pitch functions by altering the value of value of the pitch range beside the pitch knob in the instruments UI (e.g. triple oscillator). However the pitch or cents problem thing mentioned earlier still persists - I might have a go at doing the same thing in another DAW like FL studio and see if it does the same thing or not.
samzhang wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:34 am
I think you can change the span of the pitch functions by altering the value of value of the pitch range beside the pitch knob in the instruments UI (e.g. triple oscillator)
Nonono I am not referring to the PITCH-dial in LMMS. It must be on your MIDI-Keyboard !
Your WORLDE Midi keyboard - EASYKEY.25 must have a setting for changing the pitch with broader span than one semitone!
Maby its how many times you press the two push-buttons ??
However the pitch or cents problem thing mentioned earlier still persists - I might have a go at doing the same thing in another DAW like FL studio and see if it does the same thing or not.
If you have FLs demo then taht would be very helpful, bcause then we would know if its a WORLDE Midi keyboard - EASYKEY.25, or Lmms problem
Do you have a WORLDE Midi keyboard - EASYKEY.25 online manual?
Hi
Yes, the manual can be downloaded (for free I'm pretty sure) from the official Worlde website. Go to http://en.worlde.com.cn/, and then at the top bar click "Downloads"; there are several sections for Downloads (e.g. Manual, Drivers, Videos, etc.), but the manual we're after is in ofc the "manual section". Clicking on "manual" gives several sub-groups (e.g. Quick Start of MIDI, MIDI controller manual) - select "MIDI controller manual" and the EASYKEY.25 manual should be on page 2 of the results and you should be able to access it
Maybe you might understand it better with the manual as I'm rather new to using MIDI! :D
Thanks