Virtual instruments in LMMS - and MacOS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Is it possible to use virtual instruments from other sources, such as Audio Units in LMMS in Macos?
The way VIs are installed in Macos which works with some other DAWs, such as Logic and Reaper, is to install them in folders - LIbrary -> Audio -> Plug-ins or LIbrary -> Audio -> Presets - there are folders called Components (for AUs?) and VST and VST3 etc.

If one knows where to put the relevant files, VIs can be shared between DAWs.

So - is it possible to access some of these from LMMS? If not, do I just have to continue with GM sounds and soundfonts?
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:07 am
Is it possible to use virtual instruments from other sources
No, not from other sources, but you can make virtual instruments in LMMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8MzUXf3TX0

do I just have to continue with GM sounds and soundfonts?
No LMMS supports VST2
Read:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_VSTs
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:
I think the "roll your own" approach isn't so good using the LMMS tools, though I may be wrong. Spitfire audios have some videos about how to record instruments and create VIs, and there is more to it than just recording one note, then spreading it across the whole range of possible keys. As far as I can see, there are different articulations, round robin/random effects to give variety to each note of the VI, and carefully adjusted control for volume levels. The Spitfire video about recording a Chinese Moon Guitar suggest it'll take a day to get decent results. There is another video also, somewhere on the Spitfire site about how to record a piano, and the adjustments made after recording to make each note sound well over a range of pitches and different playing styles - hard - soft etc. show also how complex the process can be.

I don't know all the techniques which Spitfire use - or whether other companies, such as Versilian, use the seme approaches, but certainly Spitfire have used the EXS24 sampler in Logic for a long while - though that has not been reworked/rebadged as Sampler. There is also the Alchemy sampler in Logic, which some say is better - though that may no longer be the case since the Sampler/EXS24 update.

I don't know how to convert samples made using those tools in Logic to other formats - such as Soundfonts, VST etc. My guess is that there must be conversion tools.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:10 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:
I think the "roll your own" approach isn't so good using the LMMS tools, though I may be wrong. Spitfire audios have some videos about how to record instruments and create VIs, and there is more to it than just recording one note, then spreading it across the whole range of possible keys. As far as I can see, there are different articulations, round robin/random effects to give variety to each note of the VI, and carefully adjusted control for volume levels. The Spitfire video about recording a Chinese Moon Guitar suggest it'll take a day to get decent results. There is another video also, somewhere on the Spitfire site about how to record a piano, and the adjustments made after recording to make each note sound well over a range of pitches and different playing styles - hard - soft etc. show also how complex the process can be.

I don't know all the techniques which Spitfire use - or whether other companies, such as Versilian, use the seme approaches, but certainly Spitfire have used the EXS24 sampler in Logic for a long while - though that has not been reworked/rebadged as Sampler. There is also the Alchemy sampler in Logic, which some say is better - though that may no longer be the case since the Sampler/EXS24 update.

I don't know how to convert samples made using those tools in Logic to other formats - such as Soundfonts, VST etc. My guess is that there must be conversion tools.
My guess is that there must be conversion tools.
Try and ask in a Logic forum, if anyone knows any way to convert. At least i dont.
It seems odd that it's not possible to use VSTs on a Mac, as I'm sure that Logic is able to do that - at least for some VST files. There are dedicated folders for VST files, as well as a Components folder for AUs. Maybe Logic has some form of run time conversion or link code - which allows it run run VSTs. Would it not be possible to do something similar in LMMS?

As I think I may have mentioned elsewhere, the VST issue on LMMS/Apple is less of a problem for Logic, as many VI suppliers can supply those in VST or AU formats. Some will actually supply several formats - presumably for compatibility reasons.

It'd be good if anyone can find out how to run Spitfire Audio's Discover VIs - with the BBC SO, or failing that the LAB VIs - with LMMS.