Tracking and Scrubbing samples in the Piano Roll

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello. Are there settings to enable tracking or scrubbing in the piano roll for samples. I have a pretty long monolog sample. I want to be able to scrub the audio and I want to be able to play the sample from any point on the timeline not just at the begging. I need samples in general to play more efficiently.
olladitan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:02 am
Hello.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
I want to be able to play the sample play the sample from any point on the timeline
LMMS -Sample-tracks support that since 1.0 .

There used to be a subject on how to use Sample-tracks in the WIKI. That is gone
I think my video on Sample-track will be helpful:

If you have no success please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
musikbear wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:42 pm
olladitan wrote:
Hello.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum !
I want to be able to play the sample play the sample from any point on the timeline
LMMS -Sample-tracks support that
Read about how you use Sample-tracks here: https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... th_Samples
If you have no success please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
Thanks For the respons
olladitan wrote:
Hello. Are there settings to enable tracking or scrubbing in the piano roll for samples. I have a pretty long monolog sample I want to be able to scrub the audio and I want to be able to play the sample from any point on the timeline not just at the begging. I need samples in general to play more efficiently.
I think you should check on apple official support site where you will get your answer hopefully.
musikbear wrote:

Read about how you use Sample-tracks here: https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... th_Samples
Kinemaster MOD APK
Morning Musikbear.
Can you update this link? it's now removed. And then it is redirecting to the user manual page.
Hoping for a positive response.
Regards, Nori
Nori09r wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:52 am
musikbear wrote:

Kinemaster MOD APK
Morning Musikbear.
Can you update this link? it's now removed. And then it is redirecting to the user manual page.
Regards, Nori
Yeah!! That's correct. Can you please update that link??
kaimike023 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:21 am
Nori09r wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:52 am
musikbear wrote:

Kinemaster MOD APK
Morning Musikbear.
Regards, Nori
Thanks for the heads up!
Looks like that chapter has been deleted in gitBook.
I cant do anything about that, but i can make a new video with the content of the deleted article. Look for that 'later'ish'...?.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome kaimike023 !
musikbear wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:13 pm
kaimike023 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:21 am

Episode MOD APKMorning Musikbear.
Regards, Nori

Thanks for the heads up!
Looks like that chapter has been deleted in gitBook.
I cant do anything about that, but i can make a new video with the content of the deleted article. Look for that 'later'ish'...?.
:roll: any update?
Nori09r wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:26 pm
:roll: any update?
😰 Oooop..s
Forgot..

Below here is the text that used to be in the old WIKI.
The OP asked for 2 things:
Better sample-tracks, where it is possible to start replay anywhere, that has been in LMMS for a long time now.
Methods in LMMS to do sample-scrubbing
That we do not have (yet), because LMMS cant record sound.
It is necessary to use an other program to scrub audio.
Audiofileprocessor AFP can/ could be used as scrub-finder, but why do that..
You would still need to use something else to do the actual recording, and AFP does not have a method for simultaneous movement of both start and end-point (It is in the enhancement collection)
Bottomline i guess would be, that LMMS is not suited as audio-scrubber

Orr old WIKI-text for Sample-usage & Sample-tracks :
Samples
Samples are simply recorded audio in compressed or uncompressed form. They can be almost anything, from someone singing or playing a real instrument or an atmospheric recorded effect to the sound of a hand-clap, drum beat or percussion hit. Samples can be used in three fundamental ways - either played as a sound in their own right, played as an instrument, or played as percussion. Some samples are meant to play once (atomic or one-hitters), others are meant to play in succession (loops). Loops are meant to be played in the sample-track. You can find some links to samples in useful resources.
LMMS comes with ready to use samples, divided into folders. Just press the sample-button on the Side Bar.

These samples are shipped with your LMMS installation, and are placed in
Program Files/lmms/samples
You can also use samples that you add to the collection yourself.
Those samples should be added in:
(default) C:/users/*username*/lmms/samples)
When you use the sidebar section "My Samples" LMMS looks in both those places to find samples, and you can then add them to your project.
File formats
Your sound files can be in a number of formats:
Lossless Uncompressed
WAV - Microsoft WAVe format
RAW PCM samples in a file.
AIFF - Audio Interchange File Format
Compressed
FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Compression
Lossy
Ogg - Open wavelet compression format
MP3 - Layer 3 MPEG audio -Only encoding for export!
Speex - An Ogg subformat optimised for speech compression
VOC files created using Creative Labs Soundblaster cards
Other
AU - Can be both lossless, with and without compression and lossy.
DrumSynth (ds) files

Samples as sound-files
A sample treated just as a sound-file means that you want to play the sample back at exactly the same pitch and speed it was recorded at. You can put the sample in an AudioFileProcessor plugin (AFP) in the Song Editor and then create a note in the Piano Roll Editor with the length of the sample. It can take some experimenting to place the end of the note to fit the sample. By doing this you are also limited to playing only the sample loaded into that AFP track. There is an easier way.
In the Song Editor, you can use the Add Sample Track button () to create a track that plays sound-files. This is the best way, if you want to add a several bar long sample, like a vocal or perhaps a whole song you want to add instrumentation to.
Click on the sample track timeline to create a new segment for a file. You can then add a file into that segment by either double-clicking on the segment (which will display a File Open dialog for you to choose the file to be played) or by dragging a file from Side Bar into the segment. The file will be played in that segment and the segment will expand to take up the entire length of the file. You can further crop the segment shorter (to clip sound off the end) by dragging the end of the sample left or right. All the regular actions of the song editor apply to sample-tracks.
Sample-Track also allows you to play several different files in the same track. This is useful if you have recorded a chorus, solo and bridge separately (for example) and want to combine them into the same track. Simply create more than one segment and drop your samples into this.
You can also overlap samples and they will play simultaneously rather than one occluding the other. However, there is no indication in the sample of where the overlaps are, so even though you can put one sample completely over another you will not be able to see the sample underneath unless you actually move the top sample. This can be confusing and is not recommended.
Unlike other music composition programs, these tracks are stereo by default. If you have two mono recordings for the left and right channel and want to include them as a stereo pair, you can add them individually into separate sample tracks. At the moment there is no way to pan each track left or right, however. You may be better off at this stage combining the two tracks into one stereo track in your favourite audio editor.
Samples as loops
The Sample-track can be used for loops, and you can get perfect looping of any sample, that are build without a silent part. Use a program like Audacity for sample-editing.
To use looping samples you should follow this method.

Doing that will essentially make LMMS into a Looper-station, like SONY-asid

If you need a specific loop to be in a specific BPM, eg the one we had here (110 BPM) is needed in a 140 BPM song, then you need to use a program like Audacity, and build a new sample.
LMMS cant do that for you.
Samples as instruments
Typically, you will use a sample as an instrument when the sample is of an instrument playing a single note and you want to play that note at different pitches to make a melody or harmony line.
In order to create an instrument using a sample, drag the sample from the Samples section of the Side Bar onto the Song Editor. This will create a new track with the sample in an AudioFileProcessor Plugin instrument window, already displayed if you need to change some parameters. Often you might need to change the amplitude, start or end time, or the base note of the sample in order to get the sound right, so having this window opened for you makes this easier. To close it, simply choose its close window or the large instrument button in the Song Editor.
You then create notes and edit them using the Piano Roll Editor.
Obs- An instrument in AFP will only play correctly with base-note! LMMS does not resample a sample if it is played on other notes on the keyboard. The sample will just play at a wrong pitch and speed!

Samples as percussion
A common use of samples is for percussion and repetitive note patterns. To do this, drag the sample from the Side Bar into the Beat + Bassline Editor. You can also double-click on a sample to directly add it to the Beat + Bassline Editor. Like other instruments, the instrument plugin is displayed when the track is opened in case you want to edit any of its parameters.
olladitan wrote:
Hello. Are there settings to enable tracking or scrubbing in the piano roll for samples. I have a pretty long monolog sample. I want to be able to scrub the audio and I want to be able to play the sample from any point on the timeline not just at the begging. I need samples in general to play more efficiently
You might want to check if the piano scrolling software or platform you are using has tracking or refreshing options. Check the software's settings or documentation to confirm that the features you need are enabled. Additionally, you may want to experiment with different software or plug-ins that will be more interesting!