The beginning and the end...

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
If you like ambient music, please take a few minutes to give a little listen to my two latest tracks "Sunrise Echoes" and "Bittersweet." One is the beginning. One will be the end. (Of what? Hopefully an album, fingers crossed)

What feelings do they provoke? What kind of imagery?

https://feralharmony.bandcamp.com/track/sunrise-echoes
https://feralharmony.bandcamp.com/track/bittersweet
I guess nobody here likes ambient. :/
curiouskitty wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:29 am
If you like ambient music, please take a few minutes to give a little listen to my two latest tracks "Sunrise Echoes" and "Bittersweet." One is the beginning. One will be the end. (Of what? Hopefully an album, fingers crossed)

What feelings do they provoke? What kind of imagery?
Both of them sound really nice.

I think sunrise echoes, might need a bit of glittery, shimmery, magical sounds in it.

And bittersweet might need some nice bells, that play in the background, at certain times in the track.
curiouskitty wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:40 am
I liked the second one, but you forgot to put this picture

Image.

:lol:

Perhaps, a slightly too much resonance for my headphones sometimes, nothing important. I was expecting some fall in the bass after a "rise" in the notes
newtoon wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:04 pm
curiouskitty wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:40 am
I liked the second one, but you forgot to put this picture

Image.

:lol:

Perhaps, a slightly too much resonance for my headphones sometimes, nothing important. I was expecting some fall in the bass after a "rise" in the notes
That is helpful feedback, thank you. I'm definitely still learning. I've been struggling with deciding how much bass is just right, how much reverb, etc. I keep playing my songs on the different sound systems available to me, but they all sound so different! I have pretty high quality headphones. My computer has a decent stereo speaker set, but the subwoofer is under the desk (which can create some difficulty figuring out if it is balanced.) My living room has surround sound, and the most speakers of any 1 system I have available, but it's a huge, wide room and the music is usually being streamed to the tv from my other computer in the garage, which can cause delays. Then, in a car it all sounds so ... small and faraway in comparison (not the best quality speakers.)

I'm not sure if the .gif you posted was directed at me because of the way I commented... it wasn't meant as a "woe is me" kind of comment... but rather an observation that perhaps nobody was inclined to comment because not many people care to listen to ambient music. When I pop over to the LMMS discord channel, it seems most people are sharing samples of dubstep, d&b, and other fast paced edm as the dominant genres. Many pieces outside those genres are ignored. It's more of a mixed bag in here, but there isn't very much activity. I don't really know who I can reach out to that might be able to help me grow, especially if I'm making music in a less popular genre.

I guess what I'm most keen to know, is what kind of mood or imagery is my music conveying? I know what I'm TRYING to convey, but I have NO IDEA if I'm totally off the mark in the "feelings" department.
Yeah, the picture came to my mind when listening to the tune. It definitely is close to Vangelis sound and an "end of the world coming slowly" mood ;) .

Regarding the sound, well, I have the same issue :roll: : i live in an appartment and because of now everybody is working at home, I hear my neighbours constantly here and can't put my stereo on, lol ! :mrgreen:

so, when I post stuff, I have no clue how it sounds on different systems.

In my very good headphones, your tune sounds very good. Please carry on moody stuff. It's nice to convey emotions to others.
newtoon wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:03 pm
Yeah, the picture came to my mind when listening to the tune. It definitely is close to Vangelis sound and an "end of the world coming slowly" mood ;) .

Regarding the sound, well, I have the same issue :roll: : i live in an appartment and because of now everybody is working at home, I hear my neighbours constantly here and can't put my stereo on, lol ! :mrgreen:

so, when I post stuff, I have no clue how it sounds on different systems.

In my very good headphones, your tune sounds very good. Please carry on moody stuff. It's nice to convey emotions to others.
I'm very happy to hear that I conveyed the type of emotion I was aiming for. Although, it wasn't meant to be terribly bleak... because whenever something ends, a new thing begins. That's the sweetness in the bittersweet. But of course, each person will interpret what they hear from the perspective of their own experience. I appreciate that you answered the question I was asking. Thank you. :D

I used to listen to "The Friends of Mr. Cairo" on my mom's record player when I was a kid. I've always loved the song, "Mayflower" from that album by Jon and Vangelis. I also really like "Horizon," though I only discovered it about a year ago. Some of Vangelis' other work is a little bit too far outside my comfort zone, but I'm sure there are some gems I've never heard. For me as a listener, there's a rather thin line between the retro synth sounds I truly enjoy (the sounds of nostalgia and getting wrapped up in a digital fantasy-land) and the over-the-top synth sounds that just scream "I'm not a real instrument!" like some cheesy outdated B movie. I've heard a few Vangelis songs that were in the latter category. Still, he was pretty talented and I'm always surprised to encounter anyone that actually knows about his music.
I am feeling very special to listen to this track. such types of track motivate you to grow every time.