How to tame sharp sounds?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hello there, I'm a beginner and I'm working on a new project that includes a piano and a soprano sax, but thing is that when both of these hit high notes, their sound produced is rather chirring and unpleasant —too sharp.

What can be done about this? I've tried equalizing the track by looking for hissing peaks around the 2k-10k Hz range (though this leads me to end up equalizing the lower frequencies down too to make up for the lack of the treble), lowering the individual volume of each instrument, using Audacity to diminish the treble and volume in certain parts, but this leads to uneven volume in the track. Would using a compressor help? I think that maybe compressing individual parts would do, but I don't know if this would make me end up compressing most sections individually to make up. What do you do in cases like this? Thank you.
Try putting a compressor on the instrument itself.
For the best results, use a multiband compressor. Split it into parts: 1. the low end you don't need + fundamental harmonic (or split those two too if required); 2. the other part of the fundamental harmonic area where things get too loud; 3. the first few upper harmonics; then 4. the last harmonics + high end hiss.
Mild compression goes for 1 and 3, medium for 4, heavy for 2. Adjust as needed. 1 could need makeup gain.
Catbinger wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:08 pm
Hello there, I'm a beginner
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Catbinger !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
sound produced is rather chirring and unpleasant —too sharp.
also try a high-pass-filter. All LMMS-instruments has a filter-section:
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navi ... .2-filters
A band-pass filter could also filter out the unwanted sharpness, in a specific bandwidth
musikbear I think you mean low-pass filter, not high-pass. Unless I've misunderstood? And notch... the bandpass is usually used for boosting from the instrument's envelope settings; unless you use an equalizer. Plus, trying to equalize it out, OP says, has led to balancing problems. I think compression is the ideal bet.
Catbinger wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:08 pm
Hello there, I'm a beginner and I'm working on a new project that includes a piano and a soprano sax, but thing is that when both of these hit high notes, their sound produced is rather chirring and unpleasant —too sharp.

What can be done about this? I've tried equalizing the track by looking for hissing peaks around the 2k-10k Hz range (though this leads me to end up equalizing the lower frequencies down too to make up for the lack of the treble), lowering the individual volume of each instrument, using Audacity to diminish the treble and volume in certain parts, but this leads to uneven volume in the track. Would using a compressor help? I think that maybe compressing individual parts would do, but I don't know if this would make me end up compressing most sections individually to make up. What do you do in cases like this? Thank you.
Is the piano and sax a vst plugin? Or audio files?