Vangelis - Alpha cover attempt 2

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Oh, is that the case? Maybe the reverb-like effect is caused by having a very low sustain, combined with a decay that is shorter than the length of note. Perhaps the envelope-decay isn't linear, even.
And I'd generally stop worrying about replicating the echo, instead individually placing notes at lower volume at corresponding timings, maybe even on a separate track that is more stereo. If you're using an LMMS synth this shouldn't be a problem keeping the echoes on same track, but if you're using a VST your easiest bet would be to use a separate track for echo and automation.
musikbear wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:47 pm
Gps wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:20 am
Then all those knobs, envelop, decay sustain and so on.
I love that. Sounddesign is buckets of fun!
It can be, and I think I need to study synths more.

This cover nearly made me quit making music. I got so frustrated, that my cover did not sound epic at all.
Until I added sounds from the Schiffbauer Kujashi sound banks.

Then it went snap in my head, and suddenly a lot of pieces falling into place.

Funny how this often happens to me, I get totally frustrated and then suddenly boom, progress.
Basslines and sub basslines, and how important they are.
Or in other words, how important parts we can barely hear are.

Once again very happy I did not surrender, and I don't have to use a different daw then LMMS.

LMMS is one the best when it comes to messing with midi notes.
Unfa who switched to Ardour, is my source for this statement.

For him LMMS has some limitations, but not being able to record life music, is not relevant to my use case.

LV2 support is being worked on, and to the sound coming from LMMS, I am the limiting factor, not LMMS. :D
Many times when people heard my tracks I got feedback like why don't you use albeton or cubase.
Thank god I am quite stubborn, and I knew the problem was not the daw I am using.

A Mercedes or a Rolls Royce, does not make you a better driver. ;)
Monospace wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:55 pm
Oh, is that the case? Maybe the reverb-like effect is caused by having a very low sustain, combined with a decay that is shorter than the length of note. Perhaps the envelope-decay isn't linear, even.
And I'd generally stop worrying about replicating the echo, instead individually placing notes at lower volume at corresponding timings, maybe even on a separate track that is more stereo. If you're using an LMMS synth this shouldn't be a problem keeping the echoes on same track, but if you're using a VST your easiest bet would be to use a separate track for echo and automation.
Yeah unless we contact Vangelis and or the guy who made the midi file, its simply impossible to know what they did or what they had in mind.

That is not really a problem I cant fix though. If it sounds right it is right.

Learned that from a woman in a vid about scales.
She on purpose played one out of scale note, and looked at the class, asking them if they heard anything wrong.
When the class replied no, she said nor can I.

My problem when I started using LMMS though, was that my ears were not good enough, to do this.
I could not really hear if stuff was out of tune.

Musicbear was one of the people helping me to fix this. He explained, how to use scales in LMMS, and told me I was not allowed to use any other notes. After about 5 months later something went pop in my head or should I say in my ears.

Even when not using the scales in LMMS I started to hear if something was in tune or not.
Never give up never surrender. :)

Right now I have an echo on the bell, and although its not 100% like Vangelis, I am happy.

I think though, that it is possible to make a cover with LMMS and synth1 of this track, sounding 98% the same.
Probably also with zynaddsubfx, but I understand Synth1 much better the zasfx. (and I can automate all knobs of Synth1)

I am right now already trying to fade out some parts of stacked notes, to improve the sound.

At 1.37 those green notes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd8mnI1LetQ.

My cover already sounds better then this version at the moment, but I have not uploaded that improved version yet.
While listening the Original again, I am getting more and more convinced those stacking notes should not be that long and/or should fade out. :D
Looking for feedback. What do you guys think ?

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/al ... al_sharing
Hi ,
it's good overall , this song is very hard to re-create , there are so many things happening .

This song has a lot of work and details on many things so ... Its up to you how good you want to make it ,
I cant say I noticed everything you can do to make it better just some basics ,

1 ) The wind chimes at the intro sound a bit fast on your take maybe strech it a bit and also each stroke is different on the song and differently timed . This is some really very hard thing to do , you need to work on the super zoom !
2) When the first drum kicks about 1:40 there is something missing on your song the ascending keys part ? I cant hear it maybe its too low and yeah at that part something is going wrong its not like in the original .
3) the drums have some good sound and good flow but some kicks sound distorted or louder , maybe there are duplicate notes on each other if the volumes aint different . Also there are cymbals - crash in the drums you didnt include .
4) there are plenty pitch bends happening in the pad parts in the second half of the song and even the main melody has some micro bend on some notes it sounds slightly different .
5) Another thing usefull is when you put lenghty continuous notes on the piano roll you should cut some and leave some small gap at the end of it so when the next note hits it sounds "fresher" or something like that dont know how this is called .

good luck with this !

Vangelis is an extraordinary musician .
There are many musicians from those years , the early 70's , real Heroes for what they achieved .
Not only for how good they are as players - composers but also pioneering things that didn't exist before .
Gps wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:22 pm

Well done!
Believe a few positions where the bass is out of min/maj. ex 1:39 (?)
Brilliant chimes and echo!
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:45 pm
Gps wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:22 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/al ... al_sharing
Well done!
Believe a few positions where the bass is out of min/maj. ex 1:39 (?)
Brilliant chimes and echo!
Thank you.
According to the internet, I found to my big surprise, the track is in A major. The major part I did not see coming. :)
I would have put money on it being minor. :lol:

Then the cut off "trumpet" arpeggio, uses a few out of scale notes. When I tried to make that into scale, it instantly started to sound less Vangelis.

This is a far from easy track when it comes to being in tune or not. We can't just rely on the scale tool from LMMS.
We need our ears too.

About that bass.
I think its a synth (Synth1) going out of tune. Need to have a look at why this is happening. :)
If its synth setting or just a misplaced note.
SpinEternal wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:33 pm
Hi ,
it's good overall , this song is very hard to re-create , there are so many things happening .

This song has a lot of work and details on many things so ... Its up to you how good you want to make it ,
I cant say I noticed everything you can do to make it better just some basics ,

1 ) The wind chimes at the intro sound a bit fast on your take maybe strech it a bit and also each stroke is different on the song and differently timed . This is some really very hard thing to do , you need to work on the super zoom !
2) When the first drum kicks about 1:40 there is something missing on your song the ascending keys part ? I cant hear it maybe its too low and yeah at that part something is going wrong its not like in the original .
3) the drums have some good sound and good flow but some kicks sound distorted or louder , maybe there are duplicate notes on each other if the volumes aint different . Also there are cymbals - crash in the drums you didnt include .
4) there are plenty pitch bends happening in the pad parts in the second half of the song and even the main melody has some micro bend on some notes it sounds slightly different .
5) Another thing usefull is when you put lenghty continuous notes on the piano roll you should cut some and leave some small gap at the end of it so when the next note hits it sounds "fresher" or something like that dont know how this is called .

good luck with this !

Vangelis is an extraordinary musician .
There are many musicians from those years , the early 70's , real Heroes for what they achieved .
Not only for how good they are as players - composers but also pioneering things that didn't exist before .
Thank you
1) Those chimes are the default chimes from LMMS, but we agree it does not sound 100% right.
2) Those ascending notes are there, but clearly to soft. otherwise you would not have said this.
I also have been splitting tracks from the midi file for this part.

3) The only part left from the midi file are the drums, but I think you are right, something is missing or too soft. I am gonna fix that too. Gonna redo that part. Funny that you mention double notes, I had already found a few and deleted them, but must have missed some.

4) That is also something I have to look at. If I understand the midi file right, there are no bends, but the original has them.
5) The midi file uses extreme long notes, and I don't know why. I had already shortened some, but there is room for improvement there too.

I already had a huge respect for Vangelis, but after this cover it has increased.

Although you can wake me up for some house or edm, this is from a different class, musical wise.

I am very happy though I tried. Failed the first time but now at least have the basic track in LMMS.
Never give up never surrender.

Fun fact about Jean Michel Jarre.
Nobody remixed Jarre because they thought that would be sacrilege.

Until Jarre him self said, he was disappointed nobody remixed him.
Minor update.

I did find more double notes on the drums.
Been cleaning up and splitting that drum track into 3 parts.

Now I can easily adjust the volume of just one percussion element.

Changed a LFO setting on synth1 to sync to key and moved a few notes into scale on this track.
Also left some out of scale notes out of scale because they don't sound that bad.