I'm still not sure if I should switch to Reaper, or go back

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
So I've been trying out Reaper for the last 2-3 months. Firstly watching tutorials then making a lot of (electronic) music with it.

I've learned that it's an immesely powerful DAW with unique features and i personally really like the customization options.

However, as someone who has been using LMMS for the last four years as my first and main DAW, I feel like I'm more inspired by perhaps the look or the easy workflow of LMMS.

I've struggled to get inspired while trying to https://19216811.cam/ https://1921681001.id/ make songs using only Reaper in the last two months. Perhaps it's because I'm very new to Reaper and as such it will take a while to get comfortable with it. Trying out a lot of themes hasn't helped either.

So last night I just opened LMMS and in a matter of minutes made a cool beat with it's beat/bassline editor and felt very inspired to keep going on.

But the reason I wanted to move on from LMMS was because it started to feel limiting in terms of features for my level of experience.

But I feel like I'll nevertheless be more productive in LMMS than in Reaper. Not to mention I've use the trial for a few more weeks than I should and have learned that it's DRM-Free is not for people who can't afford but for the convenience of people who do pay. So I'm not sure if I want to do this anymore, I don't think I should.

And I can't waste any more months learning another DAW and not improving my music.

Looking for some guidance.
The more powerful an interface is, the more options it gives you. However, the more options there are in front of you, the harder it is to make music as smoothly: because you need to grapple with multiple menus and toggle lengthy settings that don't have keybindings because you have literally run out of keys.
Both LMMS and Reaper have their pluses. Reaper has near-infinite power, top-notch VST support, a practically un-crashable interface, etc. LMMS has internal synthesizers (unlike Reaper which doesn't have much in that direction), a much smoother workflow, and lesser hindrances each time you want to get something done.
LMMS does have a different workflow to Reaper, leave aside easy, and the thing is, I recall a discussion at some point, where it was mentioned you can either be more comfortable with Reaper's interface, or LMMS' interface- they're distinctly different in workflow. And FruityLoops or FL's interface is closer in appearance to LMMS' interface than Reaper's.
It appears you are used to LMMS' interface. (I've never tried out FL myself, but I suppose it must have power. Maybe it'll work for you! I understand you don't want to re-learn an interface, but it should be easier given you're used to LMMS.)

But see, here's the thing: you can use both.

You don't have to stick to one.

Even I use both. You have something you like in LMMS, but want to use in Reaper? Convert it to audio and use it in Reaper. Want to be able to edit individual drum beats after export? Then save everything as a sample, re-create.
But you don't need to stick to one! I've made projects in both, and there's no need to keep yourself limited to one DAW.
You CAN use both alongside- I've seen people produce tracks in LMMS, master them in Reaper. I myself have moved a project from Reaper to LMMS when Reaper couldn't present an interface exactly how I wanted it. (Search the internet for ReaPlugs, they're essentially some of Reaper's plugins in the form of VST effects). LMMS is still my go-to because I value productivity and ease of use high enough that I'm willing to bargain for slightly lesser power and use workarounds instead.
The thing is, there will always be a power-productivity interface trade-off. Nothing can be done (unless you are using Logic Pro which has a magic button to switch between a limited interface and a powerful one, and Logic Pro X is paid on a Mac).

TL;DR: Use both, that's what I do. Try FruityLoops and see whether it comes to you easily or not, because it's similar to LMMS but probably more powerful. There's a reason so many people call LMMS a beginner's DAW.
I'd like to know the outcome of whatever you're trying to do, so keep us updated. Whatever the answer is, even if it holds for your viewpoint and not everyone necessarily, it'll be useful to others.
All the best, Django.
DjangoBaptiste wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:08 pm
So I've been trying out Reaper
What specific are the features you miss in Lmms
Sometimes lmms can do more that imediately is obvious :)