A MIDI controller to rule them all

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello

I have 2 simple MIDI master keyboards (Alesis Q49 and M-Audio Keystation 88es) that work perfectly with LMMS.

As a keyboardist, I have the aim to play live with VSTi instruments and quickly switch from one midi configuration to another:

In a new project, I add a VeSTige track for each VSTi instruments I need throughout the whole concert in the song editor.
Then I would like to push a button on one of the MIDI controllers (perhaps a third controller with a button matrix like the Novation Launchpad Mini) to select the song we are about to play. What it would do would be:
- mute/unmute any of the VeSTige track
- change the MIDI device affected to the track (equivalent of clicking the cogwheel of the track>MIDI>Input then choose a device) as the VSTi could be played on any of the keyboard along the concert.

Is it easily doable, please?

Thanks
David
Right click the button you want controlled in LMMS, and select "Connect to controller" and connect MIDI controller.
Re: MIDI Devices, the button on the keyboard you're looking for would be the power off button.

For mute/unmute, right click track mute button and click "connect to controller". It should open the necessary dialogue box.
For changing the MIDI device affected, I feel this could be much more finicky. Go to the MIDI tab of the instrument you want to mess with, and play around with MIDI input here https://pasteboard.co/VxBUu6bjN6vA.png . But it could be problematic.
First, thank you very much Monospace for your time.
The fact is that I could double the number of tracks and link one of them to the first keyboard and the other to the second, but it would mean loading twice every VSTi what could lead to a lack of memory and/or perhaps some slow-downs.
About the slow-downs, if I'm not mistaken, just muting a track would mean that all the VSTi calculations are done anyway but with no volume? Is there any other switch to avoid to increase the CPU load by switching off the track?
Don't know about VST, but for instruments at least muting the track turns off CPU load entirely. Should work for VST too, but not sure.
Thanks a lot, I will try that
zesinger wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:24 am
Hello
Hi, Welcome to the Forum zesinger !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
zesinger wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:24 am
I have 2 simple MIDI master keyboards (Alesis Q49 and M-Audio Keystation 88es) that work perfectly with LMMS.

As a keyboardist, I have the aim to play live with VSTi instruments and quickly switch from one midi configuration to another:

In a new project, I add a VeSTige track for each VSTi instruments I need throughout the whole concert in the song editor.
Then I would like to push a button on one of the MIDI controllers (perhaps a third controller with a button matrix like the Novation Launchpad Mini) to select the song we are about to play. What it would do would be:
- mute/unmute any of the VeSTige track
- change the MIDI device affected to the track (equivalent of clicking the cogwheel of the track>MIDI>Input then choose a device) as the VSTi could be played on any of the keyboard along the concert.

Is it easily doable, please?
No -easily doable it is not.
Atm LMMS is not really 'geared' for live-performance. However i wonder if it would be possible to build an automation-track, that would take care of setting on/off on tracks and switch between active midi-connections.
It would be a fairly rigid setup, with no degrees of freedom, and that alone would be 'dangerous' in a live-performance, -think about it as if it was a pyrotechnic control system ..
The limitations in lmms' midi capabilities is easy enough to pin-point:
LMMS can: Receive MIDI-input signal from a MIDI-keyboard, and trig an instrument to play.
Nothing else!
No outgoing signals at all!
It 'will come'. It is in the huge list of improvements 'planned' for lmms. ..eventually
Hello Musikbear and thank you very much for your time.
I'm gonna look on the automation-track side, I've never used them, so I don't really understand what's their use. But the rigid aspect is not really a problem, as the third controller (I'm thinking about crafting it myself, there are some tutorials about DIY MIDI controllers) would be composed of several buttons with labels. It doesn't need to change, even if the song order changes.
Thanks again
David
Task manager > Priority > Realtime, musikbear? Would it help?
Monospace wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:44 am
Task manager > Priority > Realtime, musikbear? Would it help?
may..be... But changing priority is sometimes sketchy. It is something that i never have dabled into with lmms. Frankly i dont know