[VGM] Red's Original Music (Updated 2022.06.04)

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Since this seems to be the section of this board where we share our music projects, I thought I'd share some of my finished songs for anyone who's interested.

I write video game instrumental tracks in the vein of mid-2000s flash, indie, or hand-held games. My strongest influences are from Touhou Project, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Pokemon. Feedback would be appreciated, particularly in the composition and mixing.

Most Recent Song(s):
All Safeties Off
Another combat track. I imagine this would be for a mostly projectile-based boss with a bunch of spiraling bullet patterns, maybe a couple lasers thrown in for good measure.
I've been told during the production of this that I need to make some edits to the panning and add a second guitar to equal the left-panned guitar that's currently on it. I'll be honest, I added it to the song, and it didn't sound bad but I also liked it way less so I decided to ignore the advice. Maybe for a future track but not this one.
Psychological Pressure Cooker | Youtube Mirror
I've used the rhythm of this song's main motif in a couple songs in the past, but this is probably the first time I've used it so prominently. This was also an experiment with mixed meter with triplets and the odd quintuplet sprinkled in every 4 bars.
A Mad Grab for Greatness | Youtube mirror
This was a short track I originally wrote for a friend that I extended to be a full-length song. I wanted it to sound intense, but not overly aggressive. I was hoping for the syncopation on that repeating riff on the piano to give it this frantic quality to it. I think I succeeded?
Links to More Of My Songs: Note: not every song I've written is on both platforms and different versions of some songs are on different platforms. E.g. Some of my older tracks are only on Soundcloud, while some of my 2021 songs on Youtube are slightly different from the 2020 versions on Soundcloud.
Nice work Redler. Both good, especially the second one - I think you managed to make it sound frantic.
I'm going to admit I just skimmed through your post at first and overlooked the part where you mentioned your interest in VGM. But as soon as I listened to the tracks I was thinking of it, so clearly you're doing something right there. Now for the tracks...

There is certainly a lot of scope in your production - the piano and synth strings in "A Mad Grab for Greatness" feel pretty massive at least. Also you seem to have bit of the bombastic rock and metal inspired VGM feel going on, which I quite like.

I guess "A Mad Grab for Greatness" would be my favorite as well. Based on the pictures and descriptions I would assume, they are both character songs to a certain degree. I like the idea, the fast repetitive piano pattern with longer melodic lines on top is pretty fun, but since you asked for feedback I'm going to be nitpicky. Maybe the drums could use some work, like a few bass or even kicki hits thrown in here or there in the beginning, unless that slightly jumpy feel to the tempo at the beginning was intentional. Als you mentioned you didn't want it to sound too agressive, but the kick is pretty hard, especially in the quieter sections, like 1:36 onwards, maybe you could it tone it down a little for these. But I'm not brilliant with percusssion either. I like the idea of the melodic line as well - always upwards, using some unexpected steps on the way until it gets quite intense. Some of the harmonies resulting from it in combination with everything else sound a bit unusual to me however. And the steps make sense but some of them come really unexpected on first listen. Maybe the melody could flow better with some adjustements.

Again this is of course a question of what you were going for. The atmosphere (this is obviously going to be especially subjective) definitely fits the concept of "A Mad Grab for Greatness" for me. One could find a feeling of restless energy, longing in there and greatness seems to be implied by everything always pushing the melody to the top (as in higher notes - pretty literal, but it works). Maybe it's a bit too "orderly" for a truly "frantic" feel? I guess it's again highly related to your intent, one could focus more on a sense of desperation if intended. Also I'm getting some reckless cartoon super villain vibes from it and it would feel right at home as some sort of boss theme. One thing that works really, really well for me is the synth bass line that really pushed the second part of the intro forward into the melody. It fits really well with the drum pattern underneath as well.

I should be able to spot this kind of stuff, but still didn't really think of unusal meters on first listen - but that's fine, the rythm is solid. Considering all the electric guitars (I can never really differentiate overdrive and distortion, sorry) and especially all the huge cymbals I guess it's supposed to kind of badass. Maybe you could lean harder in that direction by giving making electric guitars really scrape and screetch (which is hard to do in software admittedly) or making them really heavy with some bass focussed equalization? Actually a bass line might help here as well, one of these really dark crunchy picked basses could do that job. Again, subjective of course. The piano might use a little more character, it sounds a little bland. It's also sometimes overshadowed in higher registers and sticks through occasionally, particularly noticable from 0:53 onwards - maybe it's not needed for these sections, could do something else or needs different mixing or equalization. But I know this is a very common issue with software instrument pianos. Lastly the cymbals are very splashy and stick out on top, I'd suggest slicing off some of their higher frequencies if it doesn't damage their character too much or trying other ones.

So those are just my thoughts about what might be improved. They shouldn't overshadow that there is a lot in these tracks that really works and is pretty fun. By the way - the cover images are quite pretty. Also I listened to "Ripples of Reflected Moonlight" on your Soundcloud and found it to be absolutely awesome, so there's no question you know what you're doing. And writer/artist/musician is quite a combo, I'm seriously impressed.

May I introduce you to the soundtracks of the Megaman X games (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvm1aR8FrNg) and Super Robot Wars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJNcd7e ... 44&index=2)? I was very much reminded of them when listening to your tracks. You may know them already of course.
FilthyWizard wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:32 pm
Nice work Redler. Both good, especially the second one - I think you managed to make it sound frantic.
Thanks!
Mampfwurm wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:26 pm
A Mad Grab for Greatness...

...Some of the harmonies resulting from it in combination with everything else sound a bit unusual to me however. And the steps make sense but some of them come really unexpected on first listen...
Many of the harmonies end up p weird, but I don't really mind it. The fairly frequent major- and minor-second intervals hidden in the mix adds some spice, while the melody moving down while the chords move up is unbalancing in a way I like.

One thing that works really, really well for me is the synth bass line that really pushed the second part of the intro forward into the melody. It fits really well with the drum pattern underneath as well.
Glad you think so. I don't usually think of basslines that much. I think up a pattern using 8th and 16th notes, listen to if it clashes with the chords and melody, then repeat it for the rest of the song. If it end ups working as well as you say it does in Mad Grab, it's usually an accident.

Psychological Pressure Cooker...
Considering all the electric guitars (I can never really differentiate overdrive and distortion, sorry) and especially all the huge cymbals I guess it's supposed to kind of badass.
Not exactly. Think trudging through a swamp in the middle of summer. Like, you can do it, but it's a bit of a slog. Nothing really to be done about it except to power through and get it over with.

Maybe you could lean harder in that direction by giving making electric guitars really scrape and screetch (which is hard to do in software admittedly)
I don't actually know how to do that. Have any tutorial reccs?

writer/artist/musician is quite a combo, I'm seriously impressed.
It's result of having too much time on my hands during childhood as well an attention span that's proportional to how new and interesting I find a topic. It's gained me a reputation among my friends and family for being really flighty because I always try to learn new skills before I've even mastered my existing ones.

May I introduce you to the soundtracks of the Megaman X games (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvm1aR8FrNg) and Super Robot Wars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJNcd7e ... 44&index=2)? I was very much reminded of them when listening to your tracks. You may know them already of course.
I am indeed familiar and might I say, you have very good tastes! Thank you for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind for any future projects.
EDIT: Just realized that the thing I linked thought it would be funny to blast the viewer with hentai imagery of Lamia Loveless at one point. Since as I wasn't as amused by that I linked to something else now.
redlerred7 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:54 am
Many of the harmonies end up p weird, but I don't really mind it. The fairly frequent major- and minor-second intervals hidden in the mix adds some spice, while the melody moving down while the chords move up is unbalancing in a way I like.
Makes sense in context. My jazzy side would definitely consider it pretty spicy.
Glad you think so. I don't usually think of basslines that much. I think up a pattern using 8th and 16th notes, listen to if it clashes with the chords and melody, then repeat it for the rest of the song. If it end ups working as well as you say it does in Mad Grab, it's usually an accident.
Yeah, it took me years to even think of that kind of interconnection is music. But since I mostly come from an EDM and chiptune background, I tend to mostly think in ryhtmic patterns and how to build up and balance intensity through them. And it's not really easy to keep track of this kind of stuff in most DAWs the way one can in sheet music. Regarding basslines specifically: They can be great for giving a rythm on a greater scope. But one can cheat with them by making really low electric guitars or strings take their part.
Not exactly. Think trudging through a swamp in the middle of summer. Like, you can do it, but it's a bit of a slog. Nothing really to be done about it except to power through and get it over with.
That's actually a perfect description of what it felt like, now the somewhat slower rythm makes sense to me as well.
I don't actually know how to do that. Have any tutorial reccs?
I'm entirely self-taught with almost everything but from my knowledge this depends on the kind of instrument. If it's a synth of some kind there are obviously many, many ways to alter the sound. I could go into detail what I would try, but while the concepts are always roughly the same it still depends on the specific type and model. Software instruments like from Soundfonts (*.sf2, *.sfz) aren't all that acessible, but since they are essentially samples, one could edit them with varying requirements on knowledge on programming and audiology. If I have to edit something about the sample itself I tend to use Audacity.

The more feasible options are using using LMMS' plugins and some automation. One plugin I really like is "Bitcrush". I think it's main purpose is to simulate poor sample rates (like of the Commodore Amiga or NES' sampling channel(s)), but it can add some fuzzy distortion to a sound without actual overdrive. For example you could load it in and play around with the quantity knob ("QUANT"). First results can be kind of messy though so it's almost unavoidable to also load in an equalizer as well and chop of some of the unpleasent higher fequencies. Depending on the settings it may also add some hiss and noise and of course the crunchy sound of a low sample rate. If you're crazy ambitious you could use automation channels for some of these settings, making notes more crunchy and distorted while their held or smudging up the transitions between them.

There are also a lot of plugins for chorus effects which can be used to make something really huge and massive, but also add some distortion and vibrato. My favorite is the CALF MultiChorus LADSPA, which can add some real craziness. Unfortunately it can be tricky to get quite the desired sound out of it and it can easily end up sounding like a poorly configured amp. If you're planning on using it I would definitely turn down the "Amount" knob a bit (it has a tendency to lead to horrible overdrive otherwise) and play around with the Modulation depth and rate knobs ("Mod depth" and "modulation rate").

The last thing I know of is really simple: Automating pitch. There is always this "Pitch" knob on every LMMS instrument and it can be automated to make some slidey guitars and vibrato like effects through slight detuning. It's actually harder to explain than see in practice, so if you want to see it in practice I would recommend downloading this midi file (https://www.vgmusic.com/file/f0ad17f1c3 ... 80f9f.html) and importing it into LMMS. It makes some clever use of slight detuning to give it's main guitar more character, the midi data of which will be converted to an automation channel by LMMS you could peek into. Of course doing this kind of stuff by hand can be a lot of work as well.
It's result of having too much time on my hands during childhood as well an attention span that's proportional to how new and interesting I find a topic. It's gained me a reputation among my friends and family for being really flighty because I always try to learn new skills before I've even mastered my existing ones.
I totally share that experience. But having many interests isn't bad per se and there are a lot of people in creative fields that manage to pull of such combinations really well.
I am indeed familiar and might I say, you have very good tastes! Thank you for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind for any future projects.
I'll take a compliment when I can. I just really like how the compositional techniques of chiptunes were basically ported and revamped with the new possibilities of CD audio for short a while. Also I guess I just like bombastic VGM. I think this compilation of several versions of "Ash to Ash" shows what I'm talking about: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN00p8MNajg&t) Unfortunately the quality of most YouTube uploads is pretty dodgy.
New Song:
All Safeties Off
Another combat track. I imagine this would be for a mostly projectile-based boss with a bunch of spiraling bullet patterns, maybe a couple lasers thrown in for good measure.

I've been told during the production of this that I need to make some edits to the panning and add a second guitar to equal the left-panned guitar that's currently on it. I'll be honest, I added it to the song, and it didn't sound bad but I also liked it way less so I decided to ignore the advice. Maybe for a future track but not this one.
Additionally, I finally caved in and used the Soundcloud playlist feature to group the different periods of my musical journey. I caution anyone listening that the mixing is mediocre and that some of the tracks are repetitive.
https://soundcloud.com/redlerred7/sets/ ... -2018-2019
https://soundcloud.com/redlerred7/sets/ ... phone-2020