Clicking and dragging not working on Apple Silicon

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I suppose this is half a bug report and half a support request. The clicking and dragging while holding Ctrl (used to assign automation tracks or copy multiple elements) doesn't properly work on my Macbook Air M1. Specifically while using the trackpad. When I plug in any mouse, everything works perfectly fine. So I'm guessing it has most likely something to do with the way MacOS handles the trackpad input. I've played with the settings a bit of course, but that didn't yield any results so far.

Specifically: Holding Ctrl (or in this case the "Command"-Key) and dragging something works perfectly fine, but the "add" functionality doesn't. The little green "+"-icon doesn't show up. Sometimes it appears for a while and flickers a bit, but it never does what it's supposed to do. Like I said, not a problem with any other hardware. Hardware I know of at least.

I get this is kind of a niche concern, I don't know how many LMMS users are Mac users. And it's not really critical. I use a mouse most of the time anyways and it's just a lucky conincidence I even noticed this being a thing. So I guess this is mostly a kind of bug report. Either way I tought I'd better mention it, since other people might run into the same problem.
Mampfwurm wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:17 am
I suppose this is half a bug report and half a support request.
It is known that LMMS does need a proper mouse for all functionalities.
Middle-mouse has also been a prerequest, that is no longer absolutely necessary, because LMMS now has key-combo.
Getting any kind of HW' tracker-pads to work in LMMS, is properly not going to happen. I can see the need, if someone wants to make projects on 'the road', a proper mouse may not be easy to use.
The way this has been discussed, is that we add an option in controller-context-menu: Send-to-new-automation-track
That would implement a functionality, that would render ctrl-drag unnecsesary, and 'fix' the issue that way.
musikbear wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:44 pm
The way this has been discussed, is that we add an option in controller-context-menu: Send-to-new-automation-track
That would implement a functionality, that would render ctrl-drag unnecsesary, and 'fix' the issue that way.
I get that trackpad integration is going to be quite complicated all the different hardware out there. I was half expecting to be told there was a context-menu for these actions I could use instead. Honestly that sounds like a perfectly fine solution. I'll be happy to use it, when it becomes available in the future.

I just thought I'd bring it up, since as far as I'm aware, Apple uses the same input method for all their acccessories - meaning, even their "Magic Mouse". Which I don't use, because it's expensive, but as a result Apple power users might not be able to rely on just using a mouse. I can't confirm if that's actually the case though. And again, I don't know how many of these are going to be LMMS users.
On some controllers, I find, surprisingly, that even Shift-drag works. I've never mentioned this before, seeing as it works only for some and it's not the recommended workflow (and reason never came up), but see if it works at least consistently for those controllers?
Monospace wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:15 am
On some controllers, I find, surprisingly, that even Shift-drag works. I've never mentioned this before, seeing as it works only for some and it's not the recommended workflow (and reason never came up), but see if it works at least consistently for those controllers?
Okay, so here are my results: Shift-dragging works for assigning automation channels as well, but it still doesn't work with the trackpad. The green "+" button now shows up as soon as I start to drag, but it still flickers out of existance on the spot where it's supposed to actually assign something. And it still doesn't do anything. Shift-dragging does not work on copying dragging a copy of multiple elements to somewhere (yes, I've created a grey ractangle thing at the target position).

With a mouse shift-dragging for assigning automation channels still doesn't do anything and the exact same thing happens as when I try it with the trackpad. I've tried this with various knobs and dials of which I know they can be assigned to aumomation channels. Shift-dragging for copying multiple elements to a target position also still doesn't work with a mouse. With either trackpad or mouse the green "+" symbol doesn't even show up.

If there are any other specific actions I didn't think of and you'd like me to try let me know. Also, with the risk of asking a dumb question, what would the recommended workflow for such actions be? Or did you just mean that shift-dragging wouldn't be it, and instead everyone uses the Ctrl + Dragging method?
I meant to say shift-dragging wouldn't be it, and everyone uses the Ctrl-drag method. Shift-drag is just there, and should probably be removed.
If shift-drag also doesn't work, then I don't know what to do. I can't help you since you use an Apple.
To be clear, your problem isn't the "+" itself, but rather assigning of parameters to automation, right? Because it's not exactly clear what you mean when you say that Ctrl-drag works fine but adding doesn't, and the + in a box flickers based on its position for me. What do you mean by "add" here?
Monospace wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:37 am
I meant to say shift-dragging wouldn't be it, and everyone uses the Ctrl-drag method. Shift-drag is just there, and should probably be removed.
If shift-drag also doesn't work, then I don't know what to do. I can't help you since you use an Apple.
To be clear, your problem isn't the "+" itself, but rather assigning of parameters to automation, right? Because it's not exactly clear what you mean when you say that Ctrl-drag works fine but adding doesn't, and the + in a box flickers based on its position for me. What do you mean by "add" here?
Yeah the problem is doing the action itself, not the + thingy. I'd just I'd mention for the sake of completeness, in case it might be helpful for diagnosing the problem. When I I use "adding", I simply mean the copying of multiple selected elements to some target position - where they will then be "added". The dragging works fine, it's just this "adding" at the end that doesn't work. I thought that would be clearer this way.

Thanks for clearing up the shift and ctrl-drag situation. Also like I said, I'm going to be fine, since I use a mouse all the time anyways, with which none of the mentioned problems occur. Either way, thanks for your support.