Manual (macro) controller type

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Hi,

I'm looking to manually control 2 knobs at once from a single knob.

I haven't tried it yet but I think I can connect both knobs to an LFO controller with AMT set to 0 and then just use the BASE knob to control both connected to the controller.

But I was thinking, this is effectively a macro controller and it'd be neat if there was a specific controller type for this rather than using a workaround like above.

Ideally, each knob connected to the controller could it's own AMT and maybe other relevant settings so that we can turn one knob clockwise by x and another anti-clockwise by y, and other such funky things.

And then of course, the macro control knob can then potentially be automated, which would make creating an automation track for several knobs much easier and flexible.

So this would be a 3rd controller type: "Macro controller". It'd need a UI change to the Controller Rack because there is currently just the 'Add Controller' button which adds an LFO controller: maybe a dropdown to add a specific controller type or on the controller itself, a dropdown to set it's type?

Is this something doable and considered useful enough by anyone to make it into the planned enhancements?

Apols if something like this is already planned, and of course, this request comes with respect and thanks!

Cheers.
giggedy wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:26 pm
Hi,

I'm looking to manually control 2 knobs at once from a single knob.

I haven't tried it yet but I think I can connect both knobs to an LFO controller with AMT set to 0 and then just use the BASE knob to control both connected to the controller.

But I was thinking, this is effectively a macro controller and it'd be neat if there was a specific controller type for this rather than using a workaround like above.

Ideally, each knob connected to the controller could it's own AMT and maybe other relevant settings so that we can turn one knob clockwise by x and another anti-clockwise by y, and other such funky things.

And then of course, the macro control knob can then potentially be automated, which would make creating an automation track for several knobs much easier and flexible.

So this would be a 3rd controller type: "Macro controller". It'd need a UI change to the Controller Rack because there is currently just the 'Add Controller' button which adds an LFO controller: maybe a dropdown to add a specific controller type or on the controller itself, a dropdown to set it's type?
Yes, at first glance a good idea, but then you need to ask: Can i do this already with automation.
And Yes that can be done with n automation-tracks for n number of dials.
further it is more intuitive and understandable (also in 3 month..) than some intricate Macro that controls more than one dial, that would get messy and confusing fast.
Another automation advantage is that you can flip one track to work opposite the other automation-track, and preserve the pace in change in two directions, or make one of the changes 'wobble' ever so delicate. Things like that would be a challenge with macros