How to Sidechain Multiple Instruments?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello, I'm having trouble with a getting a certain sound to come through.

I have a very short kick (using kicker) layered over a longer kick and the later has peak control, yet the former doesn't.

Is there a way to add this instrument to the peak controller?

Could I maybe put the controller in another FX channel?

Thank you for any information. :-)
You wanna send both instruments to the same FX Mixer bus, and on that single channel you want to put your peak controller. Then connect sidechain to this peak controller so both are sidechaining.
I always say that unless you're with sidechaining twice, always use FX-Mixer buses for compression-based effects and dynamic control. You never know... you can't move FX around, but you can reroute instruments on your mixer.
Monospace wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:16 am
You wanna send both instruments to the same FX Mixer bus, and on that single channel you want to put your peak controller. Then connect sidechain to this peak controller so both are sidechaining.
I always say that unless you're with sidechaining twice, always use FX-Mixer buses for compression-based effects and dynamic control. You never know... you can't move FX around, but you can reroute instruments on your mixer.
This helped a lot! Silly I didn't think of that. I put all my percussion instruments on FX2 with a peak controller added to it.

I then put the other instruments on FX1 and set the volume of that bus to controller 1 (peak controller).

I'm curious. Is it better to use a sidechain compressor? I saw some tutorials where they connect the "S/C level" knob to the peak controller. It's very confusing but very interesting learning this stuff.

Thanks for your amazing help!
Connecting volume of bus to peak controller, essentially connects volume output of both. So, when one increases, other ALSO increases. However, sidechaining means DEcreasing volume when drum increases. So you want to use sidechain compressor ideally.
I could be wrong, though, but that's the gist of it.