Can you glide wav samples in LMMS?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I have a tiny question. Lately I've been creating instruments, layering them with different effects and then exporting them as samples. I've gotten some pretty good sounding ones doing this.

That said, when I open one in LMMS it appears in 'audiofileprocessor' and there's no option on this plugin for portamento.

My question for you guys. is there any work around or is using an automation track the only option? That would not be fun lol...

Perhaps (if it's possible) can you load a wav file into triple osc?

Thank you for your time. :-)
Electropocalypse wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:37 am
I have a tiny question. Lately I've been creating instruments, layering them with different effects and then exporting them as samples. I've gotten some pretty good sounding ones doing this.

That said, when I open one in LMMS it appears in 'audiofileprocessor' and there's no option on this plugin for portamento.

My question for you guys. is there 1) any work around or is using an automation track the only option? That would not be fun lol...

Perhaps (if it's possible) can you 2) load a wav file into triple osc?

1) Yes for samples you can use the Detune-feature, but it is cluncky and is mostly comparable to using an automation.
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navi ... .2-editing

2) No not possible.

Your best option is to find a Sampler that support portamento, afair that is not the case for sitala, because that is in essence meant for percussion, and porta makes no sense for percussion.
Worth noting that even with sampler VSTs, to do controlled pitch bend you'd need automation. Portamento non-synth samples, pretty unusual. If you find a sampler that does portamento or glide on samples please get back to us, it'd be a useful resource.
Monospace wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:57 am
Worth noting that even with sampler VSTs, to do controlled pitch bend you'd need automation. Portamento non-synth samples, pretty unusual. If you find a sampler that does portamento or glide on samples please get back to us, it'd be a useful resource.
(Sorry... double post)

Man it's tough finding good pitch effects. For now I guess AM Pitchbender works. It's just a pain because you have to listen for the notes and draw automation tracks.

I did some digging and I found a couple of samplers that kind of work, but both use SF2 (soundfont) files.

I also found a sampler with portamento and retrigger. Still, when I loaded it and select any Wav file it says "can't open wav file." Silly computer lol.

You can download the sampler here (2015 version zip): http://jeskola.net/xs1/content/

The next one is DSK SF2 but it only works with SF2 files. I tried it out and it has an LFO with pitch modulation.
Still, the retrigger button doesn't do anything so when you play a key it continues where the LFO left off which doesn't seem to work great for portamento.

The other one I found (also uses SF2) is Grace: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2342/

Same kind of thing but much more high quality and complicated to me.

It seems using a phaser creates a similar effect.

I wish these samplers worked with Wav files. Too many rabbit holes... You can't easily convert Wav to SF2 and would need to use Polyphone (also very complicated to me).

I never used these files before but I'm sure they are useful in some respect.

I will have to keep learning I guess. :-)
Electropocalypse wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:04 pm
Monospace wrote:
Man it's tough finding good pitch effects. For now I guess AM Pitchbender works. It's just a pain because you have to listen for the notes and draw automation tracks.

I did some digging and I found a couple of samplers that kind of work, but both use SF2 (soundfont) files.

I also found a sampler with portamento and retrigger. Still, when I loaded it and select any Wav file it says "can't open wav file." Silly computer lol.

You can download the sampler here (2015 version zip): http://jeskola.net/xs1/content/

The next one is DSK SF2 but it only works with SF2 files. I tried it out and it has an LFO with pitch modulation.
Still, the retrigger button doesn't do anything so when you play a key it continues where the LFO left off which doesn't seem to work great for portamento.

The other one I found (also uses SF2) is Grace: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2342/

Same kind of thing but much more high quality and complicated to me.

It seems using a phaser creates a similar effect.

I wish these samplers worked with Wav files. Too many rabbit holes... You can't easily convert Wav to SF2 and would need to use Polyphone (also very complicated to me).

I never used these files before but I'm sure they are useful in some respect.

I will have to keep learning I guess. :-)
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:59 pm
Monospace wrote:
I got it to work after going back at it. That Jeskola XS-1 sampler (for some weird reason) doesn't like LMMS wav files but if you load any into Audacity and re-export them from there it works!

The only thing... this sampler only supports portamento in mono.

Still, it's a great step and I'm very excited to have this capacity. It would be easy enough to add layering, phasers, chorus, FM modulation, panning, etc to give it a more stereo sound.

I'm so excited about it I might make a tutorial. Thank you for your time. :-D
Why pitchbender and not the pitch control dial itself on the instrument window?
Monospace wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm
Why pitchbender and not the pitch control dial itself on the instrument window?
I like pitchbender because you can adjust the buffer rate. This can make the pitch bend either sound clean or delayed.