Questions about render and project licensing

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hello!
If I create a music in LMMS with built-in samples and synthesizers, can I waive my music under CC0 (public domain) for both render file and project file?
Dolphinana wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:16 pm
Hello!
If I create a music in LMMS with built-in samples and synthesizers, can I waive my music under CC0 (public domain) for both render file and project file?
Not project file. Your derivative work belongs to you, and you can set any licence you like. but releasing the projectfile as CC0 would be a way to re-distribute used samples, and that is not allowed.
You should also read the complete licence for LMMS:
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/8-legal/8.1-license
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Dolphinana !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Can I use GPL-2 for project file?
I would suggest not using the included samples. there is a lot of discussion surrounding them, but the simple answer is that no one knows what their licensing is, or where they came from.

you can release your renders as C00 if you want, and you can release the project file alone as C00 if you want, but if you want to distribute the project file with samples or other resources used, you must take the due diligence to make sure anything more than the project file you used is C00 compatible.
I would suggest not using the included samples. there is a lot of discussion surrounding them, but the simple answer is that no one knows what their licensing is, or where they came from.
This ^ .
I've heard it mentioned somewhere that someone recognized a pre-included sample of LMMS from some dance game or something... could be wrong.
Unfortunately, the pre-included samples are really good and I've used them a lot of times, occasionally uploading completed project files (BY/BY-SA) to the LSP (I don't think I've used samples for those, but can't be sure). It's hard to avoid using them altogether. As far as I understand, and given how old the samples should be considering when they were placed in LMMS, you should be on safe practical ground if you use them. Whether or not you are legally or morally right, that's a different thing. But given you're making derivative works out of samples at least a decade and a half old, you shouldn't get into any copyright trouble for any songs you've already made.
It's very difficult to find small sample packs with very varying sounds for one percussion type. LMMS' has been made specifically for it.

That being said, it would be most sensible to avoid using these samples. Those pre-included with LMMS could be phased out in the far future, legally still problematic, and it's too much of a moral weight.
Looks like my question about samples is settled, but what about software synthesizers?
They might be licensed under GPL, but the software license is not
transferable to audio output from the software. I should have the right record the output
from synthesizers and waive it under CC0.
So if I make music only with included software synthesizers, I should be able to waive both
render and project file to CC0, right?
Now, how do we draw a line between sample and software synth?
Is BitInvader a pure synth? What about instruments included with ZynAddSubFX?

Here's a list of foss instruments and notes on licensing:
https://hilbricht.net/foss-sampled-instruments.html

Also, musicbear's reply made me a bit confused. He said that distributing project file
under CC0 would also distribute samples which is not allowed. But, a project file
does not contain official samples from lmms, so I wouldn't call that redistribution of samples.

(I might be wrong with the text I wrote, tell me if that is the case)
Dolphinana wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:18 pm
He said that distributing project file under CC0 would also distribute samples which is not allowed.
No distributing the project -eg incl samples, is not allowed.