Project keeps crashing when I try to save

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm using the 1.3.0 nightly build. I have an .mmpz with two sample tracks containing .wav files. One of them has the built in equalizer and Reaper's multiband compressor on it. Whenever I try to adjust the multiband compressor and then save, the project instantly crashes and usually doesn't prompt me to load from a backup upon restarting the program. I've tried closing everything except for LMMS and restarting my laptop, but it still crashes every time I try to save. Any help would be appreciated.
Have you tried saving it under a different name ?

The only thing I can think of.
vlbonnie wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:13 am
I'm using the 1.3.0 nightly build. I have an .mmpz with two sample tracks containing .wav files. One of them has the built in equalizer and Reaper's multiband compressor on it. 1) Whenever I try to adjust the multiband compressor and then save, the project instantly crashes and 2) usually doesn't prompt me to load from a backup upon restarting the program. I've tried closing everything except for LMMS and restarting my laptop, but it still crashes every time I try to save. Any help would be appreciated.
1) That is unfortunate and i will look into it. I vaguely remember something about multiband-compressor, but i need to get confirmation.

2) You do not get a recover-option unless you have manually saved the project once. You also need to have your BAKup time set to a value where LMMS will preform a auto backup. I would think you have that quite long now?
Something like 5-10 mins is my suggestion
Hey, I've faced this issue before and reported it.
LMMS doesn't behave nicely with infiniband or modifiable band EQ and compressor. Using ReaEQ will also cause unusual problems. Unfortunately, it looks like the total number of bands on your project is more than 8.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/6223 is the issue.
There is nothing that can be done. You cannot add or modify bands because then saving breaks. Check if deleting bands works.
I found this compressor called IEM multiband, which has three bands and a visual interface and options that works more like ReaXComp than most other multiband compressors available for free. I use sometimes multiple together if i need many, but usually I've gotten used to using as few as possible (sometimes limitations make you stronger).
In any case, you can use multiple instances, and within each instance use two bands and mute the third band out. In second instance use one band, or use multiple whichever works for you. End effect is some sort of multiband compression that does the trick.
Also lmms 1.3 has a factory compressor, and iirc one of those parameters tilted the compression so it was more applied (ie higher ratio i think, maybe combined with threshold) on lower range than upper, and vice versa. I'm on my phone so i can't be sure of the abilities, haven't gotten time to touch lmms and use it properly for a few weeks now.
Even without multiband, that compressor is pretty powerful so check it out.
P.S. if you find any multiband compressor which suits your needs, and has fixed number of bands, please get back to us. I for one would love to know.

All the best with LMMS!
Hey, I'm just getting back to this thread.
In response to musikbear: The autosave time is probably the problem, then. I have mine set to two minutes, but the project wouldn't even be open that long before I'd try to save again.

In response to Monospace: I should have only had 4 or 5, since it was just the one instance. Maybe it's my crappy laptop to blame. I'll try the other plugin, though
vlbonnie wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:17 am
In response to Monospace: I should have only had 4 or 5, since it was just the one instance. Maybe it's my crappy laptop to blame. I'll try the other plugin, though
Hmm. Maybe it's possible this occurs sometimes at lesser number of instances too and i never tested enough. Maybe if you once had 4 but now have 5? I'll have to crash test. Don't get much time these days though, but i want to see how to better trigger it.
Confirmed. Happens with 4/5 bands too. I guess I just didn't check all that carefully.