Can't figure out how to program a swing beat

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I've been trying to make a couple different tracks with kind of a jazzy swing beat... one is straight up swing, the other is more of a slow syncopated funk thing. No matter how much I mess with time signature and quantization I can't get the timing to sound right. In the past I've been able to get kind of a faux-swing sound by using triplets, but it never sounds smooth and it's really cumbersome to switch between triple and duple when I'm programming beats and melodies.

The only way I can think to work around it is to set the quantization as low as it'll go and just play it with a midi... but I don't know if I'm good enough with a keyboard to be able to do that effectively enough.

I know drum machines usually have a swing option, but I've never seen anything like that in LMMS. Has anybody else had this kind of issue before? I haven't seen too many jazz tracks in the forums before so Idk how common this is.

For reference, here's the kind of sound I'm going for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_F1jKsZrCw
Foggy wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:21 pm
No matter how much I mess with time signature and quantization I can't get the timing to sound right.
time signature is irrelevant
Swing or Whilting is simple.
I will make a video
I will post when its done
Seen it in other DAW, they have a dail in a plugin to do swing. It messes with the timing of some of the notes.

Looking forward to musicbears vid.

Its not that easy but it can be done in LMMS.
I still need to learn and understand it much better my self before I can help others. :)
musikbear wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 pm
Foggy wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:21 pm
No matter how much I mess with time signature and quantization I can't get the timing to sound right.
time signature is irrelevant
Swing or Whilting is simple.
I will make a video
You da best, man. Thank you in advance!
musikbear wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:47 pm

done
You need to crank up volume, idk why but the playback from LMMS is very low, my explanations are not, so you can just redo what i do on your own LMMS, and you can hear the output that way :P
I just tried this in LMMS, and it works like a charm.

I also messed with the velocity of the notes (like musicbear thought us) , very! interesting.

From a dead computer beat to a more life like beat. 8-)
Hi people!

I believe this is more complicated .

To get a swing beat you'll need a good realistic drum machine a one that uses multiple different samples for each note .
And also some drum vst produce different sounds depending on the volume of each hit .

Well , there aren't many options in the free zone , what kind of drum vst setup you are using Foggy ?

Also the track link you gave as a reference has a remarkable production overall which is an achievement on it's own , not to say anything about musicians!

Some advise I can give is use the "mt powerdrumkit vst " it's the most realistic "free" drum machine I used with LMMS .

It has a big range for dynamics if you play with the volumes of each note. and its a bigger set than most jazz drumkits .
It has 2 ride cymbal sounds , very helpful for a swing pattern .And you can make it sound alot better with some effects .

I have this project I'm working for some time ,
this song , in the second half of it
I'm going for some jazzy swing rythm you can listen how this drum vst sounds . The guitars are horrible !

https://soundcloud.com/panpl-panpl/018t ... al_sharing

this is the Lmms file of the drums part without any extra effects though .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jDa98g ... sp=sharing

Not a finished song but it's at a good state ,
I would like to hear some opinions by the way :)
I have seen a vid on you tube, it was albeton or fruity loops.

The swing plugin they used did exactly what Musikbear does manual in his vid. :)
FL Studio has this feature named "swing" that slighlty moves notes at random points automatically and it can also be adjusted on how much they randomly move .

But I think this is not what the question was .
There is a type of drum beat used alot in jazz music it is also called swing with many variations .
It's kind of hard to achieve because the notes go off-beat .
And dynamics are very important , it shouldn't sound electronic .
The hits need precision and not to be moved here and there randomly .

I'm sure you are familiar with this type of beat . :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a174Kdd ... OpenStudio
Here is that fruity loops vid.

I always watch people with other daw then LMMS and learn a lot from it

This vid however is more interesting to us then most, because he shows how do swing with a plugin but also how to do it manual.
The manual way we can do in LMMS too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5IhCrGASP4

Music is all about trying stuff, but be careful and at least keep in mind what musikbear said about important and less important notes. Ignore this too much and you will not have swing but a mess. :P

I also recently watched somebody with albeton.
He moved an entire piano roll parts a tiny bit off time. In LMMS terms about 2/192.

The result was it sounded much more like live played music then created on a computer.

Something about older synths and drum-computers.
They unlike LMMS always have a bit of randomness to the sound and timing. Probably because of hardware limitations.
This is near to impossible to recreate in LMMS.