How to use one shots in LMMS

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
For a while now I've been having trouble understanding how to use one shots. I'd get a sample pack and hear a sample played in different notes in the demo tracks. I'd then load up LMMS and try playing around in the piano roll, but things didn't sound right. I did some research and found out that what I was doing wrong (I was trying to use it as if it was a built in sound within a VST). While looking things up online, I did see a tutorial that apparently would allow you to do this, but LMMS doesn't have those features. So do I just use one shots, chords and loops (outside of chopping) as is in LMMS? I tried my best to look up as much as I could before I posted a question, but there's a lot I still don't understand.
Dum-Dum-Um wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:58 am
For a while now I've been having trouble understanding how to use one shots. I'd get a sample pack and hear a sample played in different notes in the demo tracks. I'd then load up LMMS and try playing around in the piano roll, but things didn't sound right. I did some research and found out that what I was doing wrong (I was trying to use it as if it was a built in sound within a VST). While looking things up online, I did see a tutorial that apparently would allow you to do this, but LMMS doesn't have those features. So do I just use one shots, chords and loops (outside of chopping) as is in LMMS? I tried my best to look up as much as I could before I posted a question, but there's a lot I still don't understand.
True, lmms does not have stretching of samples, so the only 'correct' output is with AudioFileProcessor in A4. To get to use a sample for more pitches, you need first to use a program like Audacity and build new samples for the pitches you want, and then you need to use a Sampler, and load each of the samples into correct keys on the sampler.
I suggest using Sitala as sampler:
musikbear wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:47 pm
Dum-Dum-Um wrote:
True, lmms does not have stretching of samples, so the only 'correct' output is with AudioFileProcessor in A4. To get to use a sample for more pitches, you need first to use a program like Audacity and build new samples for the pitches you want, and then you need to use a Sampler, and load each of the samples into correct keys on the sampler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0cNNL3kgHo
I just got Audacity and I found a tutorial how to change the pitch. It's actually a really simple process. Thanks for the help Musikbear.
Dum-Dum-Um wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:37 am
musikbear wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:47 pm
Dum-Dum-Um wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0cNNL3kgHo fnf
I just got Audacity and I found a tutorial how to change the pitch. It's actually a really simple process. Thanks for the help Musikbear.
If you want to use a one-shot in different pitches, you'll need to create multiple versions of the sample at different pitches using a tool like Audacity or another audio editing software. Then, you can load each version into a sampler in LMMS and map them to different keys on the sampler. This way, you can trigger the sample at different pitches by playing different notes on your MIDI controller or piano roll.