Crackling sound while playing anything

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Whenever I try playing literally anything, it gets disturbed by crackling sounds, with and without headphones. Anyone know how to fix this?
Jami wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:05 pm
Whenever I try playing literally anything, it gets disturbed by crackling sounds, with and without headphones. Anyone know how to fix this?
Playback crackle is not a general issue in LMMS, so we need to focus on your system
What is your OS
What is your LMMS ver
What is your soundbackend Choice in Settings?
Is this only in LMMS?
Do you have spikes in mixer (red diodes)
Is it with one or all instruments?
Do you have any FX inserted?
ladspa multiband eq can create crackle artefact
My OS is: Linux 5.4.0-62-generic x86_64
I have LMMS 1.2.2
Never heard of soundbacked Choice and google tells me nothing, so whatever the default is
It's only on lmms, youtube and speaker tests work fine
I don't get FX spikes, but in the piano editor I get yellow to red CPU spikes whenever it crackles
I've tried it on samples, loops, instruments and drums, crackles every now and again on every single one.
No FX changes or new channels, tried it out on a clean project and still crackles
"ladspa multiband eq can create crackle artefact" also don't know what this is.

The problem seem to be the CPU spikes, how do I get rid of those? Love
Jami wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:10 pm
The problem seem to be the CPU spikes, how do I get rid of those?
Firstly stop all other programs/ apps that you may have running, We want to have all resources for LMMS only.
That could help, but your selections in Settings are also important.
Look at the buffer-settings. I use 5.12/ 11.6 that works fine for me, but i'm on windows, but try..
Also on Audio tab, experiment with backend-interfase. SDL works fine on Linux as well, but Linix has several other options, and you have to experiment to dind the option that works best with your HW
You also ned to look at the efficiency tab
What is your autosave setting?
Mine is 8 mins
Disable UI-effects on that same tab!
Let us know the outcome :)
It seems that indeed the buffer size was the culprit. Upped that a bit and now everything is working crispy yclean and without any crackling.
I am very grateful to you (all) for helping me out, I would've never figured this out by myself in a million years. Looking forward to making my music now!
Big thanks, Jami