how to configure expression pedal as soft pedal in LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
The subject says it all. Back when I was running M$ CrashOS (spit), I had my expression pedal on my M-Audio 88 key weighted keyboard configured as a soft pedal. But that was years ago when I did that configuration. I can't remember a single thing about where the controls are in LMMS to set that.

So can someone give me a quick tip on how to do this?

Thanks
spooky130u@gmail.com wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:14 pm
The subject says it all. Back when I was running M$ CrashOS (spit), I had my expression pedal on my M-Audio 88 key weighted keyboard configured as a soft pedal. But that was years ago when I did that configuration. I can't remember a single thing about where the controls are in LMMS to set that.

So can someone give me a quick tip on how to do this?

Thanks
Try the tut for binding a HW-synth pitch-wheel. That may work.

The basic principle in connecting anything to a keyboard feature is:
Find the knob you want the Mod Wheel to control (filter freq could be a RL example)
Right click on the knob and a list will pop up.
In the list select "Connect to controller", a "Connection Settings" box will pop up.
Make sure MIDI controller and Auto Detect are lit up, then just move the Mod Wheel on your keyboard!
Often it will show as ch1, controller 2
Click OK and the mod wheel should now control the knob you selected.
you can set up any other knob/slider control on a MIDI keyboard controller the same way. It just sets it up as a different controller (CC) number. (from old manual)

Let us know the outcome :)
I'm sure that would be similar to configuring an expression pedal. In fact, I remember stuff like that. But where is the control/button in the LMMS screen to get into that section?
spooky130u@gmail.com wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:51 am
I'm sure that would be similar to configuring an expression pedal. In fact, I remember stuff like that. But where is the control/button in the LMMS screen to get into that section?
Thát is a good question!
I wish i had a good answer..
My knowledge in midi-HW is non-existing, but this 'soft-pedal' is that doing something to volume, then the LMMS-controller would be either instrument VOL or master-VOL
If the pedal does something to filter, then cut-of in the specific filer would be the controller(?)
The endresult should be a recorded automation profile, where your pressure on the HW-pedal is recorded as an automation curve
The actual live-recording of aut-inputs is in this tutorial:
The best solution would be to configure it on the keyboard itself to send the appropriate soft pedal message already. If there is no way to do that (which i highly dubt), the beta release of lmms offers an option to access all 128 midi controllers of a plugin thru the track dropdown menu. The downside of the latter is that this way the pedal will still have effect on the original expression control too.
I had this working back in M$ CrashOS, and I remember there was a way to get a list of stuff (including the expression pedal) and what to map it to (in this case, volume for the keyboard). I just don't remember how to get to that setup window.

Thanks