About oversampling when exporting a song

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi,

When I first tried oversampling a long time ago, I found it changed the way many instruments sounded, so I used to never do oversampling. Only « Sinc best ».

Recently, I learnt to be more accurate about frequencies distribution and I’m doing better mixes. I tried again oversampling and now I changed my point of view. I feel (ear !) it like this: it makes the sound richer, particularly in the high parts, at this expense of making the whole song more high globally. I use an oversampling of 2× when I exported my very last projects, and I like it. I even start to wonder if I shouldn’t be a little too heavy on the low-end when mixing, to compensate the higher mix that’s results of the oversampling.

What do you think? Am I saying bullshit and probably deaf as a mole to ear such thing? Or did you ever experienced the same, or kind of?

Best noises.
"Oversampling changed my perspective on sound richness, especially in high parts. Considering compensating low-end for oversampling?"
TerranceRunion wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:25 am
Oversampling changed my perspective on sound richness, especially in high parts. Considering compensating low-end for oversampling?
I did that a couple of times :

I export the project two times, one without oversampling and one with a 2x or 4x oversampling. Then, in Audacity, I reduce the volume of the two tracks (I reduce the oversampled version more) and mix them.

So I have a richer and brighter sound, but still globally sounding as what I produced in the first time.

I wonder if it’s something some people do, if it’s a known process ?
Oversamplig generally does have a positive effect on quality as it allows internal calculations to be more precise. The root cause of your problem is that the oversampling option in the export menu simply makes the project render at a higher sample rate, and lmms builtin plugins tend to sound differently if the sample rate is changed. In fact this has been a known issue for ages. One workaround is to also run your sound driver at the higher sample rate so that the export and the live playback will sound more or less the same.
trancwolve wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:30 pm
Oversamplig generally does have a positive effect on quality as it allows internal calculations to be more precise.
So isn't it the role of interpolation parameter? If not, so what does it stand for then?
Interpolation parameter selects the interpolation algorithm used in the oversampling process. But oversampling feature in lmms is cursed as is. Try not using it when possible.
trancwolve wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:53 pm
Interpolation parameter selects the interpolation algorithm used in the oversampling process. But oversampling feature in lmms is cursed as is. Try not using it when possible.
Thanks, by 'try not using' you mean changing interpolation setting for zero order hold or leaving it as it is by default sinc medium recommended?

Isn't it really be any helpful for electronic music?
No, I mean try not to use the oversampling feature itself, because currently it's full of bugs. If you still decide to use it, you can use the best interpolation setting as it is supposed to make it sound the least bad. But again, if you are planning to render at higher sample rates in lmms, you will want to use that sample rate during editing too.
The way I personally do it is kinda like a brute force workaround, as i run the system audio at 192 khz when editing and just use this same setting at exporting too and not use any of the oversampling blackmagic. Although this can take a bit of a cpu power.
trancwolve wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:30 pm
No, I mean try not to use the oversampling feature itself,
So if I've got oversampling turned off as it by default ('1x none') there is no matter what is set at interpolation (sinc medium recommended by default) cause all is off then or give best sinc slowest to be set and 1x none oversampling?