CPU spikes and audio is gone until I re-open the project

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I installed the 1.3.0-alpha, because the function to connect my Sample Tracks to a mixer channel would be extremely helpful in a project I'm working on currently. However, when more instruments start to come along in the Song Editor, audio stutters and stops and the CPU goes all the way up red and stays there no matter what until I re-open the project.

Another instance of the problem happens when I play a loop point in one part of the song. CPU is high but audio still works until I stop song, in which case the remaining delay effects apparently make the CPU go through the roof.

This CPU issue did NOT exist when I ran the same project in 1.2.2, in which I've made the whole song.

I've tried all the CPU saving tips external to LMMS I could find but they had no effect

The project does only include two instances of ZynAddSubFX and two instances of TripleOscillator along with some samples playing simultaneously, so nothing crazy with the VSTs going on.

Do I need to sacrifice my mixing and finish the track in 1.2.2 or could there be a solution to this?
Vintagedelay wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:04 pm
I installed the 1.3.0-alpha, because the function to connect my Sample Tracks to a mixer channel would be extremely helpful in a project I'm working on currently. However, when more instruments start to come along in the Song Editor, audio stutters and stops and the CPU goes all the way up red and stays there no matter what until I re-open the project.

Another instance of the problem happens when I play a loop point in one part of the song. CPU is high but audio still works until I stop song, in which case the remaining delay effects apparently make the CPU go through the roof.

This CPU issue did NOT exist when I ran the same project in 1.2.2, in which I've made the whole song.

I've tried all the CPU saving tips external to LMMS I could find but they had no effect

The project does only include two instances of ZynAddSubFX and two instances of TripleOscillator along with some samples playing simultaneously, so nothing crazy with the VSTs going on.

Do I need to sacrifice my mixing and finish the track in 1.2.2 or could there be a solution to this?
It is the part in bold that imo is important
If that is so, then you have discovered a bad bug in 1.3.
There are some things i need you to assure us about:
1) Your 1.3 -Is that from OUR site?
2) You have not made a single change in the 1.2.2 project -It just fail in 1.3 -Is that correct?
3) Do you run 1.3 without having something else (Messenger or some communication like Skype or Discord) running simultaneous at the same time?
4) Have you made a complete reboot of your system, and after that 1.3 still spikes your CPU?
If you can confirm all 4 with YES, 1.3 has an issue..
Please screenshoot your tittlebar, where the exact version-release can be found
We will need to dissect your project. I hope we can do that. We will of cause respect your rights 100%
But before we get to that -please answer the 4 questions, and post a screenshot of tittle bar.
tyia.
1) Yes, I downloaded it from https://lmms.io/download#windows

2) If I understood the question correctly, the only thing I did to the project in 1.3 was try to play it from the loop point and then disable the loop points and and play the project from the beginning.

3) After the initial crash I made sure in the task manager during retries that no other program was running and also disconnected WLAN.

4) Yes, I have made a complete reboot of my system, and after that 1.3 still spikes the CPU

https://imgur.com/a/z1KrrRr
Vintagedelay wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:13 pm
1) Yes, I downloaded it from https://lmms.io/download#windows

2) If I understood the question correctly, the only thing I did to the project in 1.3 was try to play it from the loop point and then disable the loop points and and play the project from the beginning.

3) After the initial crash I made sure in the task manager during retries that no other program was running and also disconnected WLAN.

4) Yes, I have made a complete reboot of my system, and after that 1.3 still spikes the CPU

1+2+3+4 -Nice tests!
But it looks like there is something wrong. We need to look at your project.
Do i understand you correctly -You have no plugins or instruments that is NOT part of native LMMS?
Then it is easy to test if it is the version of 1.3 that has an issue.
You can upload the project to any upload-service, it is best to save-as, and make a MMP file, and of-cause in LMMS-alpha-1.3, so make sure you have an untouched 1,2,2 Backup!!!. A MMP will help us dissect the problem.
You can then send me the dl-link as a PM.
Just click on my nametag and select Contact-musikBear