Newbies - LMMS on budget systems - watch out for the Bass!

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi all,

The points I'm making below will no doubt be obvious to the majority of users, but were a bit of a surprise to me.

I have just discovered that the music tracks I've been making over the past couple of years are very painful to listen to - unless I use very cheap headphones or play them back on some suitable 'low-fi' system.

I started using LMMS in 2018 with a basic set-up of laptop and headphones, I then splashed out £28 for some new Sony headphones and thought that I was a very well set up Newbie at that time.

I made about 25 pieces of music over the years as a hobby and was reasonably well satisfied with the results.

However, my old headphones came to pieces recently so I decided to get some new ones and, after reading user reports, got a pair of Sony MDR-7506/1 Professional Headphones for £90.

I was shocked when I listened to the old stuff I'd produced - bass & drums in the lower frequencies were extremely loud, resonant and annoying - completely spoiling the ambience of each track.

It seems that when I produced this music in the past I subconsciously chose elevated bass settings for drums etc to compensate for the lack of Bass performance in my cheap headphones.

So now the 'Kicker' preset, which was quite pleasant on the old headphones (after some tweaking) really kicks you in the guts and does your head in on the new headphones.

So, my 25 tracks will have to be re-hashed - not because they are important or good - but as they stand they are extremely annoying to me.

So in a budget system, it seems that headphones are the critical part for understanding and hearing the music you are actually making.

Regards
If you are testing bass sounds, I suggest using some good speakers, or studio monitors for that.
Indeed, the bass is more powerful than in other DAWs. I've also been hit in the ear a few times with LMMS, but I was using the program when editing. For me it's a good feature because I post music to friends via WhatsApp which compresses the tracks too much and with the strong sound of the LMMS, the bass losses are smaller. Internet music platforms often ruin our mixes. Now I only make music with this, always testing how it will sound on internet platforms.
Thank you Brandystarbrite & Joe Zhan - some good points.

"....If you are testing bass sounds, I suggest using some good speakers..."

".......Internet music platforms often ruin our mixes. Now I only make music with this, always testing how it will sound on internet platforms."

Agreed. What sounds good & balanced on your local system may sound totally different elsewhere.

Regards