Side chaining with the LMMS native compressor

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi,

Is it possible to do side-chaining with the LMMS native compressor? If so, how? Unlike the "Side-chain compressor" from the CALF plugin collection, which has a dedicated knob labelled "S/C", I’m not sure which knob of the LMMS compressor I’m supposed to control with the peak controller. I tried different things, but I’m not sure doing the right thing. Best result I got was in controlling the ratio parameter with the peak controller. It seems odd to me, what do you think?

I checked the documentation but this native plugin isn’t documented (or I missed it).
HenryDeath wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:34 pm
Hi,

Is it possible to do side-chaining with the LMMS native compressor? If so, how? Unlike the "Side-chain compressor" from the CALF plugin collection, which has a dedicated knob labelled "S/C", I’m not sure which knob of the LMMS compressor I’m supposed to control with the peak controller. I tried different things, but I’m not sure doing the right thing. Best result I got was in controlling the ratio parameter with the peak controller. It seems odd to me, what do you think?

I checked the documentation but this native plugin isn’t documented (or I missed it).
I vaguely recall something about artefact cackles with a compressor, but it is ages ago, so ..
After i realized that sidechain is only a dip in 'something' in specified rhythm, i only use automation and bigdip
musikbear wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:32 pm
I vaguely recall something about artefact cackles with a compressor, but it is ages ago, so ..
After i realized that sidechain is only a dip in 'something' in specified rhythm, i only use automation and bigdip
I do not have any crackle using side chaining with the peak controller to the CALF compressor, or rarely, in some particular cases. And there are multiple compressor plugins anyway.

Side chaining is more than just “a dip in something in specified rhythm”. An automation curve doesn’t dynamically follow an instrument signal amplitude. I don’t want to have to edit an automation curve every times I put a note somewhere, or change any parameter of the instrument, or any parameter of a note, like its amplitude, or if I want to vary how deep my “dips” are globally, in relation with the instrument signal. One can sometime obtain a quite similar result with automation, in some cases, and sometime it’s even a better choice, but definitively not the same thing.

Imagine you have a peak controller after a delay effect, and you modify this delay effect, with side chaining the driven "something" will change how it behaves, whereas with an automation curve it won’t, it will still follow the same curve.
The best one is the Threshold knob, but it won't be perfect as the compression will still be affected by the input signal's amplitude too.
I'm the creator of LMMS's Compressor. I intentionally did not add a sidechain knob into the Compressor because LMMS does not support real sidechaining, only a workaround via the Peak Controller. Adding a knob to support that workaround would require keeping and maintaining that sidechain knob even after it becomes obsolete from true sidechain being added into the DAW.

I've recently added true sidechain support into LMMS and will be merging it into the main project relatively soon, after which I will add sidechain support into the Compressor.
LostRobotMusic wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:35 pm
I'm the creator of LMMS's Compressor. I intentionally did not add a sidechain knob into the Compressor because LMMS does not support real sidechaining, only a workaround via the Peak Controller. Adding a knob to support that workaround would require keeping and maintaining that sidechain knob even after it becomes obsolete from true sidechain being added into the DAW.

I've recently added true sidechain support into LMMS and will be merging it into the main project relatively soon, after which I will add sidechain support into the Compressor.
Thank you :)