Effect plugins disappeared?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Knowing me, it's probably something I did, but here goes.
I'm on a 64-bit Windows laptop, using LMMS 1.3.0 alpha.1.102+g89fc6c960. I think it was a few days ago that I opened LMMS and it acted like it was the first time I had downloaded the software. I haven't reinstalled it in months, but it asked me for a language, wiped my "Recent Projects" section, etc. Didn't really think anything of it at the time.

The issue is that now, it's not recognizing any effect plugins I have installed. It recognizes the ones that come with the software just fine, but stuff like charsiesis, TDR Nova, and others aren't showing up in the plugin selection when they were previously. At first I thought they'd been deleted somehow, but they're still in the effect plugin directory. I tried changing the directory they were in, changing it back, making sure the directory was correct in LMMS's settings, restarting the program in between each change, but nothing worked to get them to show up. LMMS also didn't recognize the plugins in projects where I had used them.

Instrument plugins that aren't in the designated directories are loading in fine. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, and sorry if a thread/Github issue like this already exists, I wasn't able to find anything
vlbonnie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:21 pm
they're still in the effect plugin directory.
I tried changing the directory they were in, changing it back, making sure the directory was correct in LMMS's settings, restarting the program in between each change, but nothing worked
That is a bit strange. You already done the right things, but try and move your settings-DOT-file (cant be deleted..)
Then restart pc and load LMMS
That would make you a new dot-file -This one:
Goto C:\Users\<Username>\
There you have a file named .lmmsrc.xml Windows wont let you delete it, so move it!

Let us know the outcome :)
musikbear wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:43 am
vlbonnie wrote:
I tried changing the directory they were in, changing it back, making sure the directory was correct in LMMS's settings, restarting the program in between each change, but nothing worked
That is a bit strange. You already done the right things, but try and move your settings-DOT-file (cant be deleted..)
There you have a file named .lmmsrc.xml Windows wont let you delete it, so move it!

I tried this, but nothing came of it unfortunately.
vlbonnie wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:26 am
musikbear wrote:
vlbonnie wrote:

Could you copy that dot-file and PM me it
I also need a screen shot from Settings| File/Folders
Something is not right here : |
musikbear wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:19 am
vlbonnie wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:26 am
musikbear wrote:

Could you copy that dot-file and PM me it
I also need a screen shot from Settings| File/Folders
Something is not right here : |
I've sent them. Sorry for the trouble
vlbonnie wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:17 am

I've sent them.
I see one issue
vstdir="C:/Program Files/VstPlugins/"

Program-Files is a weird directory, in some way you could say that it is Windows-only
No user are meant to access Program-Files. Only windows has write privilege in this folder for security reasons.
I suspect that having your VST-directory in Program-Files obstructs it usage. What confuses me that you cant see the files, that is a supprise, saving inside Program-Files is not possible (without trickery ... : ) -But reading and loading from Program-Files i would not expect that to be blocked, but it seams it is..
Avoid using Program-Files for anything of your own -generally!
Simply regard Program-Files as a place where you do not do things at all
Program-Files belongs to Windows!

Save all you have of your own stuff
DL newest LMMS -Alpha if you like
Remove current LMMS completely
Install new LMMS
Place everything of yours in user| LMMS
The VST-instruments goes in Samples| <myVSTInstruments> (witch is a new folder you make)
VST-effects goes in VST-plugins
musikbear wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:54 am
vlbonnie wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:17 am

I've sent them.
I see one issue
vstdir="C:/Program Files/VstPlugins/"

Program-Files is a weird directory, in some way you could say that it is Windows-only
No user are meant to access Program-Files. Only windows has write privilege in this folder for security reasons.
I suspect that having your VST-directory in Program-Files obstructs it usage. What confuses me that you cant see the files, that is a supprise, saving inside Program-Files is not possible (without trickery ... : ) -But reading and loading from Program-Files i would not expect that to be blocked, but it seams it is..
Avoid using Program-Files for anything of your own -generally!
Simply regard Program-Files as a place where you do not do things at all
Program-Files belongs to Windows!

Save all you have of your own stuff
DL newest LMMS -Alpha if you like
Remove current LMMS completely
Install new LMMS
Place everything of yours in user| LMMS
The VST-instruments goes in Samples| <myVSTInstruments> (witch is a new folder you make)
VST-effects goes in VST-plugins
Reinstalled twice and restarted my computer. Unfortunately, the issue is persisting. I removed the plugin from Program Files and now it's int Documents\lmms\plugins\ladspa\ but still won't show up, despite that being the directory specified in the program's settings
vlbonnie wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:57 am
Reinstalled twice and restarted my computer. Unfortunately, the issue is persisting. I removed the plugin from Program Files and now it's int Documents\lmms\plugins\ladspa\ but still won't show up, despite that being the directory specified in the program's settings
>sCRATcHING HEaD....<

Before you re-installed -did you remove the dot-file?
musikbear wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:44 pm
vlbonnie wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:57 am
>sCRATcHING HEaD....<

Before you re-installed -did you remove the dot-file?
The .xml? Yeah, it was gone. Made sure to completely clear out the old install first, and TDR Nova is no longer in Program Files, just in the Documents\lmms\plugins\ladspa folder. Still no dice
vlbonnie wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:59 pm
The .xml? Yeah, it was gone.
Send it to me
Open it in notepad and use copy all and paste it into a private message
Nova is in the Documents\lmms\plugins\ladspa folder.
Is Nova in a separate folder with several files
Screen-shoot what is in the folder and post it here
or is Nova just ONE file
That one file could ofcause have gone 'bad' so if you can delete Nova and re-dl it from its hp, maybee that all this crap is about a defect dll