Q: I'm encountering a bit of a hiccup with LMMS, and I was wondering if anyone could offer some guidance. Specifically, I'm having trouble loading a project file. Every time I try to open it, LMMS seems to stall, and the project doesn't load successfully. Has anyone else faced a similar problem?

This user was a bot that injected what-apps after i had given support and is now banned.
The issue may be legit in other circumstances so we keep the or. question in DB, as well as the answer.

A:
All type of files can get corrupted, that is unfortunately also true for lmms-project-files.
There are however default backup-features that can at least help you avoid real disasters where all is lost.
The .BAK-files in your saving directory always holds the penultimate version of your project. It allows you to roll back one version
You also have the safety-project, that is identical to your last save
These two features are described here:
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/4-production/4.1
A feature not used by many is version-saving. It is a shame that it is being ignored, because it is a strong safety-feature that creates a complete roll-back-history, and allow you to revert to a previous working version. The downside is that it does use more disk-space to create a history-back-catalogue.
Finally there are 'us'.
If everything fails and your file is of the type MMP, you can contact me in PM, and i will see if i can rescue at least part of your work, but there are no guarantees at all, and nothing can be done if the file is either less than 1 Kb in size, and never if the file is of type MMPZ.