VST no longer work after wine updated to v9

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Previously used wine-staging version 8.x. Recently, wine was updated to version 9. Now, vst plugins no longer load. I have tried all branches - stable, staging and development. None of them work. I am at a loss. Can anyone help.

EDIT : I uninstalled wine and it is doing the exact same thing. So, basically, it is as if lmms/vestige does not recognize wine version 9. That sucks.

EDIT 2 : Installed version 8.21 (staging branch) with the older mono too. Same thing. Worked 2 days ago. Now it doesn't. I have no clue what to do now.

EDIT 3 : I am now using wine version 6.0.3. It appears to be working for now. Something is really messed up...somewhere. But I have no clue where.
What LMMS version are you using?

Did you download it from here ?

https://lmms.io/download#linux

If you installed it from a repository of your distro, you should ask for help from your distro.

First lets try, to download the appimage version and see if that works.

Stable version 1.2.2

I am on openSUSE Tumbleweed, and I just did a test, VST are still working fine here.
Gps wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:02 pm
What LMMS version are you using?

Did you download it from here ?

https://lmms.io/download#linux

If you installed it from a repository of your distro, you should ask fro help from your distro.

First lets try, to download the appimage version and see if that works.

Stable version 1.2.2

I am on openSUSE Tumbleweed, and I just did a test, VST are still working fine here.
I am using 1.2.2 stable as well as 1.3.0-alpha 1 (for when I need to use 64bit plugins)

Both are appimages downloaded from https://lmms.io/download#linux

I am on Ubuntu (Xubuntu) 22.04.3

Also tried the repo but vestige was not available.

Also added the kxstudio repo but lmms-vst-full cannot be found.

Guess I will have to test every new wine update as it's released.
tjlazer wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:38 pm
:: new wine update
yee.. we have dev topic running on this new WINE ..
Asa i saw that announcement about WINE9 i just knew that it would be serious and not in a good way.
To me that update is a Hotel-California thing -like:
"This could be heaven and this could be hell"
Afraid it is going to lean towards the hottest option...
I dont recommend you try out every wine release, -atm, stay with the one you know is working on your distro.
There is going to be HUGE hallabaHhula around this new WINE rewrite! Its a rewrite, not an update!
In essence WINE is not being WINE as we knew it, and there is going to be grief, because there are essential as many Linux-installations as there are Linux-users, and now the situation is that a middlelayer (WINE) needs to work with Any and all :
* Linux-distro,
* Linux-user-choice,
and (*help*) any and all VST2 implementation!!!!!
VST2 that are NO more -as in being not maintained AT ALL!
Rewriting wine is a "fIX of a working thing". That is just never a good idea : /
I had a look and it seems I am using wine 7, and LMMS 1.3.0-alpha

Wine 9 is available, and I don't get why its not installed.

This might have to do with geekos daw, wich is like the kx repositories, but then for opensuse.

You could try to ask for help here:

https://linuxmusicians.com/index.php
This is what I'll do, I'll backtrack to see what was the last known working version of wine. But also, after maybe 2 more "updates", install wine 9. See when/if it ever starts working. Because all my other software that requires wine works fine. It's only vestige in lmms.

My windows version of reaper works fine and all the vst plugins work without issue. But I hate reaper and only use it edit the pitch and speed of samples. In case anyone was looking for a "free" way to do it that is way better than audacity, is basically real time and has no obvious artifacting. Workflow sucks ass though, for anything else. Or maybe it doesn't. Everyone I have introduced lmms to (that uses another daw) says it is NOT intuitive. But I started with 0.3.1 so it is natural to me lol

I will keep everyone interested updated.
Please do, you might have found a bug with vestige and wine 9.

But I am speculating, I don't have a clue on what is wrong. :(

To me its weird the windows version of reaper still works.
Gps wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:01 pm
This moves fwd with leaps
Today a user has successfully build on Ubuntu with wine9
I have asked for his cmake-script, because i want to know how universal functional that is on other distros -if at all..

-----------------
Link to cmake LMMS build with wine9 (NO Carla!!)

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/nDAWEL17
For reasons beyond me, I see a lot of wine related issues with LMMS.

The only advice I can give is to find a distro aimed at making music or find a repository for you distro aimed at making music.
Good to hear somebody has it working with wine9. :)

I know it should not matter in theory which distro you use, but it does.

I am a long time openSUSE user, and know in general were to get help.

One issue I found by talking to the package builder for LMMS of openSUSE, he did not really know LMMS, not in detail , nor how to use it.

These package builders need users like me to tell them something is wrong or not working.
They don't have the time to test every program in full detail.

One example was wine, which he did fix.
The package builder was surprised LMMS can use wine for vst. (but is a native Linux program)

These days though for LMMS users on openSUSE have a look here:
https://geekosdaw.tuxfamily.org/en/

I know of other distro that have repositories like this.
KX repositories, for Debian and Ubuntu.

Fedora has one too, but I do no know its name.

The big difference between these repositories and the default ones, is that with the music specific distro's, LMMS gets tested by people who know LMMS.

Another solution, is to use the applmage file, but you have install wine separately, if you want to use vst.
The applmage version, has how ever always worked for me on opensuse.

I think we still need to find a distro were it does not work.
musikbear wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:04 pm
Gps wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:01 pm
This moves fwd with leaps
Today a user has successfully build on Ubuntu with wine9
I have asked for his cmake-script, because i want to know how universal functional that is on other distros -if at all..
What I learned, is that there can be issues, because not all Distro agree on were to store certain files.
Nor do all distro install the same libraries.

I am a big Linux fan, but here is a case, what makes you wonder, can there be too much freedom ?

The way Valve (steam) and the appimage file of LMMS solve this, is by bringing along the needed libs.