CPU performance optimisation

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hey all,

I've been using LMMS for a long time across many different laptops. Recently I noticed an issue regarding CPU performance spikes and drops. Most of the time it just lags the visual playback and not the audio.

I'm not entirely sure why it's doing that cause my workflow hasn't changed too drastically but I did install some new plugins so perhaps thats affecting it (although I feel it shouldn't) If it matters I'll list the plugins I have installed.: mobdro

Sausage Fattener, OTT, Engineer's filter, Transit, Laidback Limiter, VSTspeek and Youlean's LUFS meter (demo ver)

I don't use all of these at the same time btw lol

My laptop is an HP Victus gaming laptop (sorry I don't remember the specs off the top of my head)

Anyone got any idea what's happening and how I can fix it?
kerligamp wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:16 am
Hey all,

I've been using LMMS for a long time across many different laptops. Recently I noticed an issue regarding CPU performance spikes and drops. Most of the time it just lags the visual playback and not the audio.

I'm not entirely sure why it's doing that cause my workflow hasn't changed too drastically but I did install some new plugins so perhaps thats affecting it (although I feel it shouldn't) If it matters I'll list the plugins I have installed.:

Sausage Fattener, OTT, Engineer's filter, Transit, Laidback Limiter, VSTspeek and Youlean's LUFS meter (demo ver)

I don't use all of these at the same time btw lol

My laptop is an HP Victus gaming laptop (sorry I don't remember the specs off the top of my head)

Anyone got any idea what's happening and how I can fix it?
Recently I noticed an issue
Recently is the important word.
You have done something to your system that has made a performance drop.
This change you have to either roll-back (Use a restore-point if you are on windows) or you need to locate the problem and cherry-pick in a way that the issue is removed.
Using a restore point is simple for everyone, but the setback is that changes that is unrelated to the performance issue, also will be removed.
An actual performance analysis and cherry-pick of issues can be highly efficient, but has a high skill-level Eg -Nerd-stuff
If you feel that its only LMMS that has a performance drop, and not your pc in general, then uninstalling recently installed plugins could be enough to get performance back.
A scan of your system could also be advised.
A proper defragmentation and deletion of everything from TEMP-folders could also help.
None of these are directly coupled to LMMS, so you also should make sure that you havent incidently changed buffersize in Settings.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome kerligamp !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480