LMMS as a Native Linux (and other systems) VST/VSTI

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

Linux is getting better, as far as music production goes.

LMMS does not have an audio recording function. But, commercial LMMS counterparts (FL Studio/Orion) don't focus on audio recording (though can do it). On linux (with jack), you could use a number of tools to supplement this missing feature. So it isn't really in dire need, even though it is an expected feature.

I'm sure at some point, someone will get around to adding audio recording. The issue I see, with and audio recording feature, is the flooding of posts regarding audio latency. Latency isn't much of an issue, until you add audio recording, with live FXs. Users often blame the software, when it is usually an operating system issue.

But, there are two areas where I think LMMS could really shine.

First, LMMS is would really be nice, as a VSTi plugin itself (especially in the Linux world). Pro-Jackd users can already do this, to some extent, through routing. But it does add some extra work, to pull it off nicely. Exposing parameters to and syncing with a host, would be all new code.

Secondly, LMMS could use a modular synth/fx table/rack mode. I've have often ignored the value of modular routing. But now that I've started to use it, I wouldn't want to give it up. The tricky part is how to graphically implement it. If done wrong, it could overwhelm or confuse people. But you don't want a feature like that too hidden, either.

I think the easiest ways is to just add a new pop up windows, like the piano roll, that just allows you to modify/save the automatically routed connections. While this could scare of the novice, it could also appeal to them. Visually seeing an LFO input/output wiring might explain a lot, to a newcomer. And if you never use the modular window, it doesn't hurt you.

Having modular routing adds to the significance of LMMS being a VSTi. But, with audio input, LMMS would also be useful as a VST. And since the audio connection exists beyond the operating system's audio server, this kind of audio input would incur no onslaught of support requests involving audio latency.

I'm not sure recording audio is important, to the target LMMS audience. But LMMS, as a VST/VSTi, would make LMMS important to people, who use other software for recording audio.

And in the Linux world, LMMS as a VST/VSTi (with modular routing) would be refreshing. From step-sequencing and drum-machining, to making a very specialized FX or Instrument, LMMS would be an indispensable tool (not to mention a damn good Standalone application).
s0ckm0nk3y wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:59 am
Linux is getting better, as far as music production goes.

LMMS does not have an audio recording function.
It is being worked on
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome s0ckm0nk3y !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Your on Linux, so to me it seems Carla can do most of what you want ?