Our introduction thread

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
181 posts
Hello LMMS community. My name is John. I am an Australian national living in a remote village in north east Thailand. I recently bought a Roland E-X10 keyboard and went with the recommendation from TJ to use LMMS as the DAW software. Many years ago (I am now 75 years old) i used a small keyboard plugged into an Atari computer using Notator software but I use a PC running Windows 11 these days.
Hello, I'm Tim. I new to LMMS and DAWs in general. I used to play trumpet and french horn in high school (more than 40 years ago). Just thought I would pick up a lower-end midi keyboard and tinker around with digital synths. I'm 100% Linux so LMMS seemed like the right software to try.
Hi everyone, though I don't know anything about composing or even how to read music notation, I want to at least try to compose music I would love to listen to. I'm pretty open when it comes to music genres and I want to bring that openness to my creations. But album that finally motivated me to download LMMS was music from Ridge Racer Type 4 (which is in itself an amazing video game) and some Machine Girl's songs, since it seemed beginner friendly to do.
Hello there, I'm R3WC13 (or RewCie), new to music theory, trying to learn new things with synthesizers and music theory as a beginner. I've worked on a couple of AI-based projects in the past, but those didn't strictly require music theory. So, I'm trying to learn few things self, so that I can know more about the field and make something cool.
Hello, my name is Ricky Gai from Malaysia, I am new to LMMS and this is the first DAW software forum joined. After working for 30++ years, now on retirement to continue my dream work in software and hardware entertainment related business. Here, I hopes to contribute and create good atmosphere in this forum. Cheers!
Following LMMS since some years as a fan of open source projects and amazed how small and clear a DAW can be, compared to commercial alternatives. Now since i have a usecase for this tool, i am absolutely happy its still developed and is available for Linux! Not mentioned my tries in the past, i am new to music production. Hopefully i still can contribute to this project and community.
hello everyone, I am mainly an edm producer. I actually have used lmms back in 2018 to learn basics, and then jumped to reaper. Now, my love for lmms and nostalgia has made me install lmms again, and also made an forum account this time. I would love to produce couple of tracks in lmms in future. Someday, when my programming skill becomes well enough, I would love love to contribute back to the source.
Hi everyone!
I'm Mr. Mysterious and I have been using LMMS for a few years now. I primarily produce chiptune and have been using LMMS among other things to make music for a game that I am making and also in the future for my Youtube channel that I am working on. I wish you all fun and success with what you do. Stay cool y'all!
Hi! I'm Vojvodinosaurus but you can call me Andronik. I make various types of electronic music in LMMS, Cakewalk, OpenMPT and Audacity. Most important thing you need to know about me is that i can't stand trap nor trap elements in other genres like the hi-hat rolls. The only type of trap i can respect is if the rapping has quality lyrics and flow, and maybe some reggae/dub elements, rest i just can't...
Hello fellow LMMS users, my composer nom de guerre is Lambtron. I've been using LMMS since 2012 and, despite the fact that I never studied music theory or learned to play an instrument, I've managed to create a couple albums worth of decent songs (IMHO). I discovered early on that composing is more than just fun; it's theraputic. And frankly, a bit addictive.

Composition strategy
I rarely have a plan when starting a new song. I typically begin by placing an arbitrary combination of instruments onto tracks and then fiddle with them until I've created a group of measures I like. Said fiddling may involve the addition of automation tracks, filters, and pitch shifting. Next, I construct variations of the group via joyful tinkering, thus producing a multitude of disconnected yet similar groups. I then arrange and stitch the groups together into a contiguous sequence. In some cases I'll fabricate and insert new measures at group boundaries, or augment the composition with new instruments, or both, to help pull the disparate groups together in a harmonious way. As if by magic, a melody will inevitably appear, which I then reinforce and embellish. I'm always amazed when I finish, because it seems as though the melody is not my own design, but that of some higher power who knew all along what was to be created.

Examples
Circle of Life
Hoofa
Malachite Groove
181 posts