Popcorn cover

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
As always hints tips or critic on the cover, and the mixing welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/popcorn

Big thanks, to this forum, who learned me to stay in tune, and all the other music theory, you guys might make a musician out of me yet :P

My ears don't protest, so I assume its in key, although some part of me is nervous. Did I finally get it right ?
Good job. it is obvious a difficult song. i marked a couple of places where i *think* some notes are off (remove the comments:)
If you loop the track at these spots, and use your ears, then i think you can find the notes that does not belong at all
yes -when you have located these notes, im pretty sure they can be changed in the whole song
Wow Gps! Nice work! I hope all our support payed off! (Though I only helped you with a beat. It's not that much).
Leche wrote:Wow Gps! Nice work! I hope all our support payed off! (Though I only helped you with a beat. It's not that much).
Well I might have, first have to see what music bear has found. :D

When I serious started with lmms people asked if I was tone deaf.

Google was my friend, and to keep it short. I was tone deaf, but there are two types of tonedeaf.

One is a big problem is you want to make music, but you cant listen to music either. You only hear noise.

The other one, has to do with music and training.

If musikbear is right, I still need some training. ;)
musikbear wrote:Good job. it is obvious a difficult song. i marked a couple of places where i *think* some notes are off (remove the comments:)
If you loop the track at these spots, and use your ears, then i think you can find the notes that does not belong at all
yes -when you have located these notes, im pretty sure they can be changed in the whole song
Thank you, I will have a listen and look.

No need to remove the comments. I don't mind them, in fact appreciate them.

Edit:
I think I hear at least some of it. :)

I love and hate that arpeggio part, I love how it sounds in the hot butter version to name one, but its not easy to get it right.
I am not sure I hear what is wrong, but I have been changing stuff.
I do hear something that I do not like.

If I do not make a cover but a creation of my own, all my tracks start at the same key. one out of 7.

This piece, I picked Dorian and B, but did not fully follow up on this because of the midi file.

I have changed that, because of this I did have out of scale notes.

pebmac error :P

Its possible music bear is hearing some else or more but we will see.
Tomorrow I am gonna listen again, and decide what to do.
Upload or bother a forum member with the file. :P

And listen on a slower speed.

Edit about bothering a forum member, I might upload the file to lmms share.
Listening at 40 bpm really helps. Although that's very slow its the ideal speed for the arpeggio part.

That's about one third of the original speed. It's so much easier to hear , if the string goes up and down at the right time.

For me at 132 bpm that's impossible.
So far it's sounding good.
Nice.
But I have to agree with musikbear, some parts do seem to be off a bit?
Wow! This is difficult to explain. :P
I want to tell give you indepth advice, but I don't think the english language, has words that I can use, to explain it properly.
And I don't know how to explain it, or how to begin to explain it either. :P Lol!

Listening at 40 bpm really helps.
That's very interesting advice.
I used a method similar to something like that you described, when I was composing music 2 years back and my laptop was working.
But the music sounded very slow. Waaaaaaah!
Thank goodness I have alot of patience. :D
Yes popcorn at 40 might work when you can't sleep :P

But that arpeggio part is so fast, that I can't really hear were the problem is.
I think I found the problem though.

Arpeggio fights the string part. Not sure if it makes sense what I am gonna try to put to words.
I learned that I can have fast notes over longer notes anywere were I want, as long as I have the first note the same.
at 40 bpm, I can hit pauze fast enough :P

I am also gonna have a another look at the key demo of musicbear, I suspect another issue, prob also with the strings.

If one track goes from B to G.....

There is something funny btw, I never liked, that string sound in the hotbutter version.
not the melody, just the sound. Exactly at those strings I struggle to stay in tune.

Maybe I should use different instruments.
I was working on a classic waltz, and was putting in chord like notes from some example.
Played it, and instantly twitched at some notes. Change them by ear, looked at the sheet music, to discover I had corrected the notes to the right position. Why not with popcorn, its prob the speed.

I added after my version which I will upload some slower version of a popcorn part, I wonder how many people would recognize it as popcorn.
But first need to fix it. Trying today to not listen to it and not touch it.
Gps wrote:Yes popcorn at 40 might work when you can't sleep :P

But that arpeggio part is so fast, that I can't really hear were the problem is.
I think I found the problem though.

Arpeggio fights the string part. Not sure if it makes sense what I am gonna try to put to words.
I learned that I can have fast notes over longer notes anywere were I want, as long as I have the first note the same.
at 40 bpm, I can hit pauze fast enough :P

I am also gonna have a another look at the key demo of musicbear, I suspect another issue, prob also with the strings.

If one track goes from B to G.....

There is something funny btw, I never liked, that string sound in the hotbutter version.
not the melody, just the sound. Exactly at those strings I struggle to stay in tune.

Maybe I should use different instruments.
I was working on a classic waltz, and was putting in chord like notes from some example.
Played it, and instantly twitched at some notes. Change them by ear, looked at the sheet music, to discover I had corrected the notes to the right position. Why not with popcorn, its prob the speed.

I added after my version which I will upload some slower version of a popcorn part, I wonder how many people would recognize it as popcorn.
But first need to fix it. Trying today to not listen to it and not touch it.
Well to be honest, it's up to you what to do with the track. You can change it or leave it alone. And from my perspective, I don't see any Instruments that would fit it better than the ones you already have :)