Mixing Problem/EasyQ ect...

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I have now downloaded me EasyQ attempts a bit. During normal LMMS (without EasyQ) I have mixed everything, that nothing comes in the red zone. But once I apply EasyQ, and the bass etc .. put up, it went further and further into the red. How do I use EasyQ right?
I know I ask a lot of questions, but I'm still a beginner and I have a lot to learn.
If you've found a frequency balance you like but you've put so much boost on that the overall sound goes into the red just drag the "Global gain" (the dashed line) down until it ain't in the red any more. Voila !

Steve
slipstick wrote:If you've found a frequency balance you like but you've put so much boost on that the overall sound goes into the red just drag the "Global gain" (the dashed line) down until it ain't in the red any more. Voila !

Steve
Now i can finish my song!
ACYDE Music wrote: I know I ask a lot of questions
And thats how we all learn

Steve is right, but that you can do with the default 10band-eq
Graphic EQs are really meant for frequency sorting, where you can dampen or boost very narrow frequencies or a exact span of freq.
Using a graphical EQ to Dampen or enhancing everything, is really overkill.
musikbear wrote:
ACYDE Music wrote: I know I ask a lot of questions
And thats how we all learn

Steve is right, but that you can do with the default 10band-eq
Graphic EQs are really meant for frequency sorting, where you can dampen or boost very narrow frequencies or a exact span of freq.
Using a graphical EQ to Dampen or enhancing everything, is really overkill.
I Eq-ed the drums. Should I eq the Instruments too? Or only drums or only instruments?
You use EQ on whatever doesn't sound right. And since they're your ears no-one can tell you what that will be.

Sometimes it's easier to put the EQ on the overall mix (i.e. in FX mixer) rather than on individual tracks. It all depends what problem you're trying to fix with it.

Steve
slipstick wrote:You use EQ on whatever doesn't sound right. And since they're your ears no-one can tell you what that will be.

Sometimes it's easier to put the EQ on the overall mix (i.e. in FX mixer) rather than on individual tracks. It all depends what problem you're trying to fix with it.

Steve
Ok, thanks for the answer :)
ACYDE Music wrote:
slipstick wrote:You use EQ on whatever doesn't sound right. And since they're your ears no-one can tell you what that will be.

Steve
Ok, thanks for the answer :)
EDIT:
My kick is in the red. If I turn down the volume , then it is barely audible / very quiet
What can I do against it?
If you want the kick to sound louder in the mix....have you ever though of turning the other tracks down until you can hear the kick !

There are all sorts of more complicated possibilities like using notching EQ to make a gap in the frequency spectrum for the kick to play. Plus of course that's one of the things that sidechain compression/ducking are sometimes used for. But why not try the easy way first ;).

Steve
slipstick wrote:If you want the kick to sound louder in the mix....have you ever though of turning the other tracks down until you can hear the kick !

There are all sorts of more complicated possibilities like using notching EQ to make a gap in the frequency spectrum for the kick to play. Plus of course that's one of the things that sidechain compression/ducking are sometimes used for. But why not try the easy way first ;).

Steve
I'm such an idiot! :D

But then the song is not a bit quiet?
Or does that not matter?