SoundCloud Spam

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
For quite some time I have noticed that some of us are getting SoundCloud comments dropped by spam-bots. Responding to them with something like "thanks, i'm glad you like it" is obviously foolish. The problem is that not all spam comments are easily identified as such, and sometimes people mistake them for genuine human interaction.

Any thoughts about this issue? How do you deal with these spam-bots?
caLRo wrote:For quite some time I have noticed that some of us are getting SoundCloud comments dropped by spam-bots. Responding to them with something like "thanks, i'm glad you like it" is obviously foolish. The problem is that not all spam comments are easily identified as such, and sometimes people mistake them for genuine human interaction.

I typically only respond to people that I either know already, or that have uploaded music. Of course, that means I don't respond to comments that often, but oh well.

An easy way to circumvent spam is to upload your track as private, then after 10-15 minutes set to public. When I had problems with bots that worked for me, but that was also a while ago so your mileage may vary. Bots are generally always easy to spot. Look for high volumes of seemingly random likes and reposts in a short time period on their profile. Some use the same canned messages for all their comments. If they have any kind of upload or description on their profile about promotion or gaining followers, they are fake as well.
I agree with this advice. This is definitely one of the simplest ways, to deal with them.
Also, I noticed that some of these bots, have some really Super fancy Promotion type names. Lol!
caLRo wrote:For quite some time I have noticed that some of us are getting SoundCloud comments dropped by spam-bots. Responding to them with something like "thanks, i'm glad you like it" is obviously foolish. The problem is that not all spam comments are easily identified as such, and sometimes people mistake them for genuine human interaction.

Stakeout Punch's advice is right.
If push comes to shove, and you're suspecting spam bots/comments etc. then one of the safest routes, would be,
to best only reply to people you know, or are familiar with. Well for a good while at least.

If anyone there on soundcloud, who you're unfamiliar with, is commenting or sounding like a robot, just ignore them.

PS: Also, ever since these bots started mysteriously appearing, I noticed that soundcloud has been giving alot of strange problems.
Just recently in my case, anytime I log in, the menu bar with options, where the profile avatar pic is located, at the top of the screen disappears.
So I can't even read any messages or go into options, or log out etc. :P

RE EDITTED 8-)
brandystarbrite wrote: As he said, only reply to people you know or are familiar with.

If anyone there on soundcloud, who you're unfamiliar with, is commenting or sounding like a robot, just ignore them.
Actually, I would love to connect with people that are outside my usual SoundCloud circles. I have no problem with random people commenting on my tracks (and me replying to them), as long as they are actually people and not bots.

I have recently stepped up my efforts, and will outright delete and block anything and anyone spammy, if SoundCloud hasn't banned/removed them already.

It's also interesting to see what spam emails I'm getting, since I left my email address in my SoundCloud bio. Most of them are actually related to music services, but are obviously automated spam.

And of course, we get the occasional spam on our forums here. No spam filter is perfect, we sometimes have to use our own judgment.
caLRo wrote: we sometimes have to use our own judgment.
Yep. Right you are.

Also, I re editted my comment.
I didn't write it correctly. :)
To be honest, the spam bots lately behave competently enough to evaluate them is not always possible. According to this, the system Zaschity can immediately ban by ip, or even a whole subnet.
Good to know. I knew it was fishy when I would upload on my Soundcloud and faster than it takes to listen to the song for 5 seconds I get a like or sub with no views added. And I don't know how some of them have like 300 followers and no content. But I guess that's the game of the bots. But we gotta win. :)
Ya kidding me!? I just made my first upload and got a freaking spam-bot message in 30min! That is ridiculous!
It cannot be helped. SoundCloud has some countermeasures (you can block/report each spam account manually), but things won't be completely spam free.

On a related note, if you have your email address on your SoundCloud bio, you can set up a what is officially called "challenge-response" filter. Ask those who want to email you to write a certain word or code in their email subject line. Spam bots are automated and won't be able to fulfill your request. If your email service provider supports it, you can set up a rule that sorts the emails with your requested word/code in them from the rest. :idea: