How to do bars with variable numbers of beats?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
There's a song I felt like doing in LMMS - "Wasp" by the Arctic Circles (an obscure piece of '80s Australian indie rock). If you listen, you'll hear the verse has a weird beat structure - the first bar has six beats instead of four. The beats per bar in the verse go 6-4-4-6-4-4, and most of the rest of the song is just 4 beats per bar.

So - is there a way in LMMS to have a song that's mostly four beats per bar, but some bars have more or less beats?
Since most of LMMS doesn't really do anything with bars just write the notes as you want them. Nobody will notice where the bar lines should be. You've got 28 beats in the verse so in Song Editor that will just look like 7 bars of 4/4.

The only thing is that you can't easily use the Beat+Bass Editor for any drum tracks because that's the one bit that does loop based on the project bar length.

It is possible to use an Automation track to change the time signature but it really confuses B+BE so it's probably not worth it.

Steve
Sorry bro, you're better off just exporting each drum and instrument pattern from LMMS, (put the 6 beat loop in a 12 bar B+B window so you can trim it for a loop. Import the loop into audacity, copy the track, and trim the bottom loop with the top as a reference for the distance between loops) and finishing the song in Audacity.
ZakICarey wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:10 pm
no idea how to do this,
What slipstick means is that the concept of bars in a DAW is abstract.
If you just put in your notes in piano-roll, as they are in your head, then the bar-dividers can be ignored. You simply structure the music as if there was one continuous measure. It is the percussion/ the beat -that then set the feel OF the structure. You can stop at any time as long as there is a natural break in the music, then it does not matter, that your last notes fill the 3. beat, but if you need continuous notes to fit with other blocks, then you need to change to a new block, every time your 'free-range-notes' fits with a factual bar-divider
A video that explain more around these restraints:
https://youtu.be/39uFMAoFOPU
slipstick wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:05 pm
Since most of LMMS doesn't really do anything with bars just write the notes as you want them. Nobody will notice where the bar lines should be. You've got 28 beats in the verse so in Song Editor that will just look like 7 bars of 4/4.

The only thing is that you can't easily use the Beat+Bass Editor for any drum tracks because that's the one bit that does loop based on the project bar length.

It is possible to use an Automation track to change the time signature but it really confuses B+BE so it's probably not worth it.

Steve
Dude, I think you need to consult a good sound producer for this ,but the idea of exporting every drum pattern is pretty good. I recently asked my producer to write me a beat for a verse. Do you know what the numbers were? You just won't believe... 1010 . When I just saw and heard this sound I was amazed. The fact is that since childhood I believe in the meaning and existence of secret magic numbers and that they mean something. Then I started to learn more information and came across a website https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-1010-meaning/ . There I learned a lot of interesting things in this number, I realized that I'm on the right path we don't need to continue to work on yourself. So all the numbers that occur on our way of life are not random, damn it!
kraimer988 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:46 pm
Wow,thank you very much for the useful information,I'm just a novice musician and every day I realize that this is insanely interesting)
Great that you found information you like!

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome kraimer988 !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480