New Synth sound tutorials by BrandyStar 2018

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
168 posts
The Chill Fox wrote:Hey brandy!
I'm back again with another request since you did so well with my other one :)
I'd like you to recreate this "lead" (I don't know what I'd call it... a stack, maybe?) from this video at the very beginning. You can't miss it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA2oW-7spqY
Thanks!
Oh boy. This one seems kinda tough. So no promises on this one. :)
I can understand why you're interested in it.
I myself, always wondered how to make a sound like that.
But I'll try and see what I can do. :D
The big joke, is if this turns out to be, easy to make. :mrgreen:
That is called a Detroit-chord or stab.
The foundation is squares but detuned as seventh'
You can find l o a d s of Detroit-stab/ chords presets for Synth1
huh, interesting, musikbear! i'll keep that in mind and thanks for helping out with that one. :)
Alright, brandy, that's all good. take your time and yeah it's a difficult one :)
musikbear wrote:That is called a Detroit-chord or stab.
The foundation is squares but detuned as seventh'
Thanks for that info.
musikbear wrote:but detuned as seventh'
This part puzzled me. What do you mean by detuned as seventh? :)
The Chill Fox wrote:Alright, brandy, that's all good. take your time and yeah it's a difficult one :)
No probs. I'll try to attempt making it, as soon as I finish off some musical stuff. :D

If for some reason, I end up taking too long, then I suggest that you do as musikbear said,
and find some Synth 1 Detroit Stab presets. :D
brandystarbrite wrote: This part puzzled me. What do you mean by detuned as seventh?
'jazzy' Detroit-chords uses either 6 semi-tones or 7 (even 8,9,11 but that can be harsh for the ears. The more 'avangarde' the jazz, the more crazy detune settings...) semitones detune distance for the 2. OSC, So you need instruments that has at least 2 OSC and then detune 9 (harsh) or better 7 semitones on either OSC
You can add a 3. OSC too, and you can even set that 'jazz/ detroit' that is only your ear that has to approve it :p

In Synth1 the dial you need to set to '7' is osc2 pitch, with track ofcause
It's tricky getting the terminology right isn't it ? An interval of 7 semitones (setting +07 on Synth1's pitch control) in musical terms is a 5th (makes a power chord). A 7th in musical terms (as the chord C7 or Cmaj7) is an interval of either 10 (minor 7th) or 11 (major 7th) semitones and usually does sound pretty horrible on only two oscillators. But it is no wonder people get confused ;).

OTOH 6 semitones interval is a tritone or "devil's interval". It's supposed to sound really sinister and if you play it on swelling strings you'll recognise the background to a lot of old horror films. If you put it in Synth1 with squares, a fast attack, slow release and plenty of reverb you'll be pretty close to that Naive Machine sound.

Steve
musikbear wrote: 'jazzy' Detroit-chords uses either 6 semi-tones or 7 (even 8,9,11 but that can be harsh for the ears.

Trying to make sure, I get this part right.

Does this mean that the difference between the lowest and highest tone in the chord, is 6 or 7 semi tones ?
slipstick wrote:An interval of 7 semitones (setting +07 on Synth1's pitch control) in musical terms is a 5th (makes a power chord).
ofcause you are right, i wasn't thinking apearently
3 should be the right value, 3, 5 & 9 ..buut 9 is in '3' pos in a othe3r octave ..so also 3, but with different effect.
Think i added negative values
Gps wrote:Trying to make sure, I get this part right.
Does this mean that the difference between the lowest and highest tone in the chord, is 6 or 7 semi tones ?
no i counted wrong, my bad -Steve caught it!
Should be 3, 5 or (9) semitones apart, but not 'really' as chords, but as detuned OSC. You could use chord though, ofcause

____
This how it sounds
https://soundcloud.com/musikbear/detroit-stab
Brandy, don't worry about the detroit stab because I can find presets for that :)
But, there is this pad/harmonica (?) that is really hard to imitate for me and maybe you can give this a shot? No rush for this B)
It's in this song where at the 0:55 mark the pad comes in. Haha I don't really know what it would be called... :P
https://soundcloud.com/iamsamsa/falltogether
168 posts