Translating from the Brain to the "Page"

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I have always struggled with how to translate from something I have in my head to the computer. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that or is it a learn-by-doing process?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Blenderite wrote:I have always struggled with how to translate from something I have in my head to the computer. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that or is it a learn-by-doing process?

Does this have to do with music? :)

Also, welcome to the Lmms Forums Blenderite. 8-)
brandystarbrite wrote: Does this have to do with music? :)

Also, welcome to the Lmms Forums Blenderite. 8-)
Its not directly related which is why I put it in the general chat section.

Glad to be here! Thanks!
Blenderite wrote:I have always

Welcome to the forum Blenderite! First, For you all our important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740

I will only tackl this from a musical point of view
record the tune in your head , then insert that recording in lmms, set tranport to
and try to play the notes as you listen to your voice.
WHoops! I posted twice by accident! My answer is below
Blenderite wrote:I have always struggled with how to translate from something I have in my head to the computer. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that or is it a learn-by-doing process?

I recommend two things
1) get a recorder and hum, beatbox, etc. your stuff into it when the inspiration/Divine Intervention/creative moment strikes.
2) use that sound to translate.
I think it's important to add that, normally, you should only open up a project to work on it when you have a basic idea of what to add. otherwise, you might listen to it to "get inspired", flame out, listen to a different track with the same result and waste an hour with no progress. That being said, you also shouldn't be afraid to make crap, then improve it later. Normal people generally aren't always in a peak creative state.
Hope this helps
God bless and good day
One thing I'll do is if I have a specific sound set in mind, I'll make a playlist of songs that have those sounds in mind. That way, I can reference those songs to make my synthesizers and beats.
davisjacobym wrote:One thing I'll do is if I have a specific sound set in mind, I'll make a playlist of songs that have those sounds in mind. That way, I can reference those songs to make my synthesizers and beats.
For instance, for my song that I'm presently working on, this is the playlist.

Golden Puppets VIP / Battle Vs. Erace Admin [ https://soundcloud.com/davisjacobym/gol ... ive-effect ]

01. Golden Puppets (Original Mix) - Jacoby Davis
02. Battle! Vs. Gym Leader (Johto) - Pokémon Heart Gold OST
03. Battle! Vs. Giratina - Pokémon Platinum OST
04. Battle! Vs. Primal Kyogre - Pokemon Omega Sapphire OST
05. Battle! Vs. Rayquaza - Pokemon Omega Ruby OST
06. Rival Battle: Shadow the Hedgehog "For True Story - Circuit Freq Remix" - Sonic Generations OST
07. Radical Highway: Act 1 "Vengeance Is Mine - Cash Cash Remix" - Sonic Generations OST
davisjacobym wrote:
davisjacobym wrote:One thing I'll do is if I have a specific sound set in mind, I'll make a playlist of songs that have those sounds in mind. That way, I can reference those songs to make my synthesizers and beats.
For instance, for my song that I'm presently working on, this is the playlist.

Golden Puppets VIP / Battle Vs. Erace Admin [ https://soundcloud.com/davisjacobym/gol ... ive-effect ]

01. Golden Puppets (Original Mix) - Jacoby Davis
02. Battle! Vs. Gym Leader (Johto) - Pokémon Heart Gold OST
03. Battle! Vs. Giratina - Pokémon Platinum OST
04. Battle! Vs. Primal Kyogre - Pokemon Omega Sapphire OST
05. Battle! Vs. Rayquaza - Pokemon Omega Ruby OST
06. Rival Battle: Shadow the Hedgehog "For True Story - Circuit Freq Remix" - Sonic Generations OST
07. Radical Highway: Act 1 "Vengeance Is Mine - Cash Cash Remix" - Sonic Generations OST

Hi!

I'm also interested in getting a general sound similar to videogame music, and I tried also some pokemon-like sound.
For GBA and NDS version, you can get a decent similar sound with a General MIDI soundfont, I have one of 8MB, so it's light and you can load multiple instances of it without problems.

For 3DS games, you might want to use both the soundfont and some VSTs.
Here you can find some decent, light and free traditional instruments imitations http://www.dskmusic.com/

You also want to use a lot of effects such as reverb, eq, chorus, to get an orchestral-like sound from even low-quality instruments. Also I recommend using the StereoEnhancer Effect: it's magical.

I've recently uploaded a little short that shows how important are these kind of effects.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtEbEkb5PPI

Now, if you really want a true orchestral sound, you will have to use commercial, huge, VSTs. A friend of mine does orchestral music and had to upgrade to 64GB of RAM because 32GB weren't enought, and he had to render parts and work with multiple projects.