What LMMS Stands For

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote:
caLRo wrote:Seriously? You want Elements to be the official full name? I thought what musikbear said was regarding the pronunciation of LMMS. In any case, it's unlikely to happen. As I have said in my original post, we need "LMMS" to stand by itself, while at the same time surround it with positive acronym interpretations.
...maybe...

But I also like the Libre music maker/making studio.
I think its a good name, but I do not like how it sounds. To me it sounds weird.
Gps wrote:
I think its a good name, but I do not like how it sounds. To me it sounds weird.
It does sound weird, and that's the problem we are having, the reason I like Elements is because it doesn't sound weird, and besides, we could Slogan it as Elements Studio...the Element of making music.
Who is this mysterious 'we' you all keep talking about?

This thread is pointless. LMMS is NOT going to change its name again anytime soon, and nobody who is actually involved with the project has been asking for any new superfluous meaning for the name for any purposes. You are free to call LMMS what you want, but intentionally promoting it under a false name is disrespectful.
grejppi wrote:Who is this mysterious 'we' you all keep talking about?

This thread is pointless. LMMS is NOT going to change its name again anytime soon, and nobody who is actually involved with the project has been asking for any new superfluous meaning for the name for any purposes. You are free to call LMMS what you want, but intentionally promoting it under a false name is disrespectful.
the people on this thread. That's who.

This thread is not "Pointless", there are some good concerns for the current name of LMMS, because right now, it's just letters. Meaning nothing. Representing nothing. It's just there. And we are trying to give it meaning. And that's what we are discussing. No more, no less. We are not "intentionally promoting" anything.
And somehow the software itself is not enough of a meaning...?
grejppi wrote:And somehow the software itself is not enough of a meaning...?
No, and here's why.

I tell me people I make electronic music. People ask what I use. I tell them LMMS. They ask what it means. I say "nothing". cue puzzled looks.

So that's my reason for trying to figure A name out for LMMS
If you told them "I use a great free music program called LMMS" sensible people would be asking you "So what's that do and where can I get it". They wouldn't be worrying about what the letters stand for ;).

Steve
slipstick wrote:If you told them "I use a great free music program called LMMS" sensible people would be asking you "So what's that do and where can I get it". They wouldn't be worrying about what the letters stand for ;).

Steve
Except sensable people are hard to come by... :cry:
If the following idea is stupid, just tell me, so I can get it out of my head as quickly as it got in (finding the names took me a while though).

LMMS - There was once four legendary programmers who decided to combine their forces to create a magnificent piece of audio software.
Linda envisioned a program that was cross-platform, so people could use it on different operating systems.
Murphy was a musician, eager to try out the program that they were going to make and willing to test it thoroughly.
Melvin was passionate about the open source philosophy, inviting and guiding others to help build the program.
Stefanie was already busy designing logos, themes, graphical user interfaces, and much more.
They brought everyone and everything together, and got to work. And so, the program was realized. But as years passed, these legendary four moved on to pursue other projects. Their names have become part of the program that is now known as LMMS.

This idea would take branding LMMS in an entirely different direction. While we refer our DAW as LMMS, LMMS is first and foremost an acronym, and an acronym stands for something. With this origin story, the acronym is explained by and through these four characters, eliminating the need for the four letters to explain everything by themselves. As a bonus, it's now also possible to design mascots for each of them. Use your creativity.

Is this idea worth pursuing?
caLRo wrote:If the following idea is stupid, just tell me, so I can get it out of my head as quickly as it got in (finding the names took me a while though).

LMMS - There was once four legendary programmers who decided to combine their forces to create a magnificent piece of audio software.
Linda envisioned a program that was cross-platform, so people could use it on different operating systems.
Murphy was a musician, eager to try out the program that they were going to make and willing to test it thoroughly.
Melvin was passionate about the open source philosophy, inviting and guiding others to help build the program.
Stefanie was already busy designing logos, themes, graphical user interfaces, and much more.
They brought everyone and everything together, and got to work. And so, the program was realized. But as years passed, these legendary four moved on to pursue other projects. Their names have become part of the program that is now known as LMMS.

This idea would take branding LMMS in an entirely different direction. While we refer our DAW as LMMS, LMMS is first and foremost an acronym, and an acronym stands for something. With this origin story, the acronym is explained by and through these four characters, eliminating the need for the four letters to explain everything by themselves. As a bonus, it's now also possible to design mascots for each of them. Use your creativity.

Is this idea worth pursuing?
Look, personally I don't think this should even be an issue.

Regarding what has been said, I've already said that if any changes were to occur, it would be switching Linux to Libre, or MultiMedia to MusicMaker. As for the S, Software, Suite, or Studio work just fine.

What seems to be the consensus from the admins is that the name isn't going to change anytime soon. Leave it to the devs on this one. Leave input of course, but as much as we create using the program, we aren't the creators of the program.