What LMMS Stands For

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
davisjacobym wrote: Look, personally I don't think this should even be an issue.

Regarding what has been said, I've already said that if any changes were to occur, it would be switching Linux to Libre, or MultiMedia to MusicMaker. As for the S, Software, Suite, or Studio work just fine.
Of course, LMMS is still written as LMMS (pronounced by some as Elements, but that's a different story). There's no need for any name change, but without at least one good interpretation of the letters "LMMS", they would simply DEFAULT TO "Linux Multi-Media Studio".
But since there already exist thousands of places on the Internet where LMMS is spelled out as Linux MultiMedia Studio anyone searching for LMMS in the foreseeable future is going to trip over that name. It's simply not going to go away.

You can try to add another version of the name if you like but that's just going make it confusing as people try to work out if your "Liberal Music Mangling Suite" or whatever is the same thing as the well-known and respected "Linux MultiMedia Studio" or if it's something completely different.

As they say "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" ;).

Steve
slipstick wrote:But since there already exist thousands of places on the Internet where LMMS is spelled out as Linux MultiMedia Studio anyone searching for LMMS in the foreseeable future is going to trip over that name. It's simply not going to go away.

You can try to add another version of the name if you like but that's just going make it confusing as people try to work out if your "Liberal Music Mangling Suite" or whatever is the same thing as the well-known and respected "Linux MultiMedia Studio" or if it's something completely different.

As they say "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" ;).

Steve
To get all politically on you: "That's something only a conservative would say. I'm a progressive." ;)

Yes, the old name is still out there and it will persist, but that is partly due to not having a new interpretation to replace it in the first place. In terms of branding, the mistake was not dropping the old name, but rather not coming up with a replacement once the old name was dropped.

Since LMMS is obviously an acronym due to lack of a vowel or an identifiable word in it, people will want to look for an interpretation. We can either give them one that we all (officially) agree on, or give them a list of good options, making something positive out of the ambiguity. Doing nothing would mean defaulting to the old name.
caLRo wrote:To get all politically on you: "That's something only a conservative would say. I'm a progressive." ;)
I prefer to think of it as "That's something only a realist would say and you're a wild-eyed optimist" ;).

So I'll shut up now and perhaps the small proportion of "we" who actually care can agree on a new (official or not) name :).

Steve
caLRo wrote:the mistake was not dropping the old name, but rather not coming up with a replacement once the old name was dropped.
That's easy for you to say, but there have been lengthy discussions about this same issue over and over, over the years, and there's not been a single one ever that has lead anywhere. Why is it still happening?!
Reason is is Because there is no name. Nothing is said about it, and users are just trying to come up with a name. I'm perfectly fine with the current name. But some time in the future, it need to mean somthing.
For the last time: there are no plans to adopt a new explanation for the name, for any purposes. The name already has a meaning: it represents the software itself. The fact that it looks like an acronym is an unfortunate legacy thing, but so are many other things in LMMS. Get involved with development if you are desperate to change things, but be warned, the name is going to stay unless a miracle happens and everyone agrees with a new suggestion.

I'm just going to quote the only sensible post in this thread before I lock it:
davisjacobym wrote:Look, personally I don't think this should even be an issue.

Regarding what has been said, I've already said that if any changes were to occur, it would be switching Linux to Libre, or MultiMedia to MusicMaker. As for the S, Software, Suite, or Studio work just fine.

What seems to be the consensus from the admins is that the name isn't going to change anytime soon. Leave it to the devs on this one. Leave input of course, but as much as we create using the program, we aren't the creators of the program.