LMMS Constantly crashing

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
LMMS keeps crashing whenever I am adjusting VST settings on the VST's gui. It doesn't (usually) crash when loading a VST and it has never crashed during playback, but only when adjusting settings. This happens with many vsts,not just a certain one.

I am on Windows Vista SP2. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
and it has never crashed during playback
and that is exactly what you should focus on.
Current ed has a nasty bug/feature -the 'auto-recover-save' -Short explanation is that lmms uses huge chunks to write uncompressed data to a xml-file WHEN IN EDIT MODE!!
That will cause crashes very often if vsts GUIs are accessed, because all setting data need to updated. 'Solution' is to only open vsts GUIs when in playback mode - It is not certain that you will avoid crashing, because first time you enter edit-mode, lots of data is written. So save your project befor you go out of playback-mode
I btw have explained this several times -saerch

br
musikbear wrote:
Current ed has a nasty bug/feature -the 'auto-recover-save' -Short explanation is that lmms uses huge chunks to write uncompressed data to a xml-file WHEN IN EDIT MODE!!
That will cause crashes very often if vsts GUIs are accessed, because all setting data need to updated. 'Solution' is to only open vsts GUIs when in playback mode - It is not certain that you will avoid crashing, because first time you enter edit-mode, lots of data is written. So save your project befor you go out of playback-mode

br
Thank you! This has been bothering me for the past few weeks and I thought I had tried everything. I hope this will be fixed in the next ed (if there ever is one).
Is there a version on LMMS where this bug isn't present?
musikbear wrote:

br
So one could simply disable this for VSTs? Is this the cause of all those crashings of multitudes of people?

Wow.
So one could simply disable this for VSTs?
No, that would be rather pointless. You would end up with recover-files with missing data, and those would be useless garbadge.
Is this the cause of all those crashings of multitudes of people?
Most likely -yes

I hope recover-saving will be an option in general-settings in next release. Other proggies that has recover-saving has both options for how often the auto-save should be invoked, and option for completely disabling. recover-saving are notorious buggy. The worts case scenario is that some other critical cpu demanding event takes place exactly at the same time as the recover-event -then the pc will freeze.
And UhOh.. forgot -this is also why it is better to save your project when you are in playback-mode. I have see cpu spikes of nerving magnitude when i pressed the save button exactly after stopping playback. Here lmms will atempt two I/O events at the same time: auto-save and user-chosen-save.. That spikes horridly. So for you own bloodpresure sake.. save when in playback-mode :p
Is there a version on LMMS where this bug isn't present?
Some has compiled their own versions on linux, and it is just some few lines that need to be commented out.
musikbear wrote:

br

Hi musikbear and guys. I started using DSK musics, Indian dreams and Asian dreams Vsts yesterday. And I have been getting the same crashing problems. But they're working really well, on my LMMS 64 bit though. And it's just like what lionfury said. It happens when you use the Vst GUI and adjust the parameters sometimes.

I'm still kinda new to LMMS, but when you guys say edit mode and playback, are you referring to the piano roll? :D

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention,if you "slightly" or moderately adjust the parameters on DSK musics Vsts and not by much. You may avoid the crashing of Lmms. :o
when you guys say edit mode and playback, are you referring to the piano roll
Sorry I was unclear on that important point -
'Playback' is when you have clicked on the play-button in song-editor, and the play-head is moving. You can lock the playback inside a empty loop and then just fiddle with your vst/ instrument settings.
Edit mode is when the playhead is idle.

Br.
musikbear wrote:
when you guys say edit mode and playback, are you referring to the piano roll
Sorry I was unclear on that important point -
'Playback' is when you have clicked on the play-button in song-editor, and the play-head is moving. You can lock the playback inside a empty loop and then just fiddle with your vst/ instrument settings.
Edit mode is when the playhead is idle.

Br.

Wooah! :o Thanks for the info musikbear. Now I finally know what the term "playback" and "Edit mode" means in LMMS. :D

If I put the Vst in the Beat and Bassline editor, and press the play button in it. Would that also prevent Lmms from crashing?
If I put the Vst in the Beat and Bassline editor, and press the play button in it. Would that also prevent Lmms from crashing?
I made a test, and it looks like even playback in BB-editor prevents the recover-saving -but i would not express this as 'prevent Lmms from crashing'. Playback only influence the auto-recover-file saving, whitch in turn puts strain on cpu due to I/O opperations with plain ascii as xml. Lmms issent 'crashing' per se.
..well this may just be a dance around the wordings... 8|

br.