Multiple track record?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all!
Just wanted to ask: is it possible to record more than one track at a time?

Couldn't find anything about it in the manual. Thanks!

brian

PS. On my setup, it says that I can export to ogg or wave, but when I select ogg, the final settings window only allows a wave file. The final output file has an ogg extension, but the size of the file is the same as if I save it as wave. Any thoughts? Am I missing an ogg codec or something?
brianc wrote:Hi all!
Just wanted to ask: is it possible to record more than one track at a time?
This one puzzles me a bit, but i think i know what you mean..
You have an advanced midi-keyboard, that allow you to play TWO voices of a song simultaneous on the split kb, and now you would like lmms to make two midi-tracks as well?
Is that the situation. No lmms cant do that.
On my setup, it says that I can export to ogg or wave
Yes you should be able, and i guess that the issue you have is because you actually has to select between ogg and wav, quite early in the process.
When you select export, the very first dialogue that pops up, need to be set correct!
Already here you must select ogg in the dropdown. If you do not do that, lmms will always save in default formate, witch is wave. Try that.
Hi musikbear,

yes, I have two midi keyboards: each is connected to a separate track. But it sounds as though I can indeed only record one instrument at a time. I just wanted to confirm. :)

For the other issue, I indeed selected "ogg" in the first export window. But in the second window (where the bit depth, etc are selected), it showed that I had selected the "wav" format. There was no alternative!

So the saved filed was in "ogg" format, but when I then saved a second time as "wav," I compared both of them and they are identical in file size. So the "ogg" file is not compressed at all.

Hope this helps.

brian
brianc wrote: yes, I have two midi keyboards: each is connected to a separate track
well with TWO different midikb you can :p
You need to start TWO instances of lmms on the computer, and assign kb1 to instance1, and kb2 to instance2. Then start everything and 'record'
Afterwords you can either drag-move one of the tracks from one instance to the other, or you can just copy the notes inside piano-roll and paste them, so wirh TWO midikb you should be able, depending on the ram in your pc :)
brianc wrote:For the other issue, I indeed selected "ogg" in the first export window. But in the second window (where the bit depth, etc are selected), it showed that I had selected the "wav" format. There was no alternative!
wooo.. then its more tricky than i thought..
Are you on win or linux?
what lmms version?
Hi musikbear,
I hadn't considered doing 2 instances, one for each midi keyboard. I'll see if my pc can handle it. (I think it can, since usage is pretty low with linux! :) )

Yes, I'm using linux, and the version I have is (I *think*) about 1.1.4
(I'm not at that pc right now, but I'm pretty sure that is the right version.)

brian
My version is 1.1.3

Here is a screenshot I made, where the only saveable file format option is .wav (notice that the dialogue at the top indicates to save as ogg, as I selected before this window) :

brian
brianc wrote:My version is 1.1.3
Fine, thats the newest off. release.
So if you press that select-symbol on the dropdown/ select you do NOT get a Ogg dialog?
Because that is the second select opportunity i told about earlier, you need to do a second select from that drop-down! -But you do NOT have that Ogg-option

That is .. strange.. Please tell me you haven tried, then all the strangeness goes away..
musikbear wrote: Fine, thats the newest off. release.
So if you press that select-symbol on the dropdown/ select you do NOT get a Ogg dialog?
Because that is the second select opportunity i told about earlier, you need to do a second select from that drop-down! -But you do NOT have that Ogg-option

That is .. strange.. Please tell me you haven tried, then all the strangeness goes away..
It is strange indeed, but true.. Hopefully it can be fixed though, as I would indeed like to be able to export in ogg if possible! :)

brian
brianc wrote:My version is 1.1.3

Here is a screenshot I made, where the only saveable file format option is .wav (notice that the dialogue at the top indicates to save as ogg, as I selected before this window) :

brian
Hello. :D
If you're trying to post pics, on the Lmms Forums and the pic is not showing up, imgur is one of those sites
that does that well. There are other sites, that do the same thing too. Your choice. ;)
I am confused and on Linux. Are you sure you doing it right ?

In this screen you should be able to choose wav or ogg.

When you click on Files of type: