String muting with fretting-hand

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi everyone,

First off, great work with LMMS. I'm a beginner and I'm having a lot of fun trying it out.

I'm using an Acoustic Bass (Bank 0, Patch 32 from FluidSynth GM sf2). I'd like to know what is (or are) the way(s) to do the equivalent of a string muting?

For example, if I'm playing 4 notes:
E E E E
I want the first one to play as normal (long note that fades in the background while the second starts),
but I want the second and third ones to be really short (as if I put my fretting-hand on the string to mute it),
and the fourth one to be normal as well.

I was not able to find a way to do this in the tutorials, but I'm betting I missed something.

Should I somehow create a new instrument that has shorter notes and alternate between that one and the original acoustic bass? Is there an easier way in which the length of each note can be parametrized (duration after which it should be made silent)?

Thanks in advance!
long note that fades in the background while the second starts
Ifi understand your quistion; You need 2 instruments.
Lmms does not have a 'cut-yourself' toggle option, so you cant sustain a note over an other note in the same instrument.

br.
Thanks br.
You need 2 instruments.
Yes, I have that working, but it's difficult because:
  1. for each note duration, I need to create a new instrument and tweak the "Hold" knob in the SF2 options for each one.
  2. all of the instruments' notes cannot be edited together in the piano-roll window, which is a pain for sequencing.
Lmms does not have a 'cut-yourself' toggle option, so you cant sustain a note over an other note in the same instrument.
Thanks for letting me know, and for being so quick. I'm not in any position to make a feature request, but when I do, this would be on top of my list.

EDIT: closed.