VeSTige plugin on Windows 7 not working

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Every time I try to load a VST .dll file, the VeSTige plugin hangs for awhile, then crashes (giving the standard windows crash window, along with LMMS's own error). Specifically, it says RemoteVstPlugin.exe has stopped working, then give me an error from LMMS about how it didn't work and to see if it'll work on Linux, or whatever.

Not sure what the issue is- it occurs with both LMMS 0.4.13 and 0.4.14 RC1 (figured I'd try it just to see if it'd help). It's rather frustrating, because not having any VST plugins is severely limiting. I like LMMS itself, and I'd like to keep using it.
Do you load the vst as described here:
http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... _with_VSTs
That works
Br.
Alternatively, have you tried VST plug-in's that are known to work, like the synth1 VSTi. It also could be that the VST you are trying to load is the wrong type of VST for the spot your loading it into (aka loading a VST instrument into an effect slot or loading a VST effect into an instrument slot.) What VST are you trying to use, and how are you trying to use it in lmms?
So I was typing up the below and then re-checking every method I've done before posting just to make sure none of them work, and then had an idea- I should install the 32 bit version.

Lo and behold, it works. I have no idea why, because I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Frustrating, because I can't seem to run Windows XP compatability mode for the 64 bit version- I imagine that would have worked, as well.

Keeping the below just to let the devs know that none of the below worked.

Also, it's worth noting that I managed to stop RemoteVstPlugin.exe from hanging and then crashing (complete with windows error), and it instead went straight to the LMMS error. I'm not sure how- I thought it was just because I was running RemoteVstPlugin.exe as administrator, but I tried this with the another install directory of LMMS (one in C:\Program Files) and it still froze and then crashed. Also worth noting that LMMS 0.4.14 RC1 didn't hang up and crash RemoteVstPlugin.exe, either (though it still threw out the LMMS error, complete with "Linux" even though I'm running Windows)

EDIT: Further worth nothing that loading VST plugins this way sucks up CPU once the VST is loaded, causing a lot of audio problems... really would like to use 64 bit if that fixes the issue
-----
electrice wrote:Alternatively, have you tried VST plug-in's that are known to work, like the synth1 VSTi.
Yeah, I've tried a number of different VST' plugin's. Namely, Drakqs, GTG FM4, and the various MDA plugins. None of them have worked. I even tried synth1, just to see, and it gives me the same issue as every other plugin.
electrice wrote:Alternatively, have you tried VST plug-in's that are known to work, like the synth1 VSTi.
It also could be that the VST you are trying to load is the wrong type of VST for the spot your loading it into (aka loading a VST instrument into an effect slot or loading a VST effect into an instrument slot.) What VST are you trying to use, and how are you trying to use it in lmms?[/quote]
Here's precisely what I'm doing, and I'll use GTG FM4 as an example.
1) Open up LMMS\plugins
2) Copy and paste the unzipped GTG FM4.dll into this folder.
3) Open up LMMS
4) Go over to Instrument Plugins
5) Drag and drop the VeSTige plugin into the song editor or beat editor
6) Open up the newly created VeSTige preset
7) Click the green folder
8) Select GTG FM4.dll
9) "The VST-plugin C:/Musics/LMMS/plugins/GTG FM4.dll could not be loaded for some reason.
If it runs with other VST-software under Linux, please contact an LMMS-developer!"

I've tried many different things. I've tried the standard installation folder (C:\Program Files\LMMS, even ensuring all the folder paths point to the C:\Program Files\LMMS directories), I've tried putting the .dll into its own folder within LMMS\Plugins, I've tried setting RemoteVstPlugin.exe and lmms.exe to run as administrator (even though it should by default), I've copied over QtCore4.dll and zlib1.dll over to the LMMS\Plugins directory, and I've tried running the compatability mode of both lmms.exe and RemoteVstPlugin.exe under Windows Vista Service Pack 2.
UPDATE: VST's aren't working again (even in Win32).

I had gotten them to work, and even managed to somewhat reduce the CPU problem (Load the VST, save the essentially blank project, re-open it).

Then, after applying the VST to a project of mine for a little while and closing LMMS to do something else for awhile, I came back, opened the project, and it doesn't work again. NO VST's work. Again.

This is getting frustrating. I have no idea what would have caused this.
All I can say is that unless you want problems, you stick to LMMS 0.4.13.

My VSTi´s don´t work in the new test release, so I don´t use it. They work in LMMS 0.4.13, for me...
Have you tried to compile it from current GIT stable branch?

git clone git://lmms.git.sf.net/gitroot/lmms/lmms
cd lmms
git checkout -b stable-0.4 origin/stable-0.4
Ok...I figured it out at last! An error message kept coming up every time I tried to load a VST in Vestige. However, I think I found the solution. Please let me know if it works for all of you too.

P.S: Do this to the original exe application file of lmms, not the shortcut as I have done (you could make shortcut after). Please read steps...

LMMS 0.4.9 and 0.4.15 do have Vestige (but don't get 0.4.15, get 0.4.9). The only way to get Vestige (VSTs) working is...

1. Right clicking on 'lmms' before you open, then go to 'Properties'.

2. Go to 'Compatibility', and tick 'Run this program in compatibility for:' It should say 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3)'. Also, tick 'Run As Administrator' and press okay.

3. Make sure it's '32-bit installer' of lmms, not 64-bit as that didn't work for me.

LMMS 0.4.9 is the version I have and works best.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/files/lmms/

Or download here to get exactly the correct version:
http://www.2shared.com/file/r0dooa-c/lm ... win32.html?

P.S: Click on smaller blue download button
Please do not post the same thing in multiple threads.